Urinary Amino Acid Interpretation

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing Urinary Amino Acid Interpretation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dr. Woeller,

How would I interpret the amino acids in the urine if for some of the results they are zero. Does that mean a supplement is needed, or just that there is no excess in that area? Is it best for just evaluation for excess in the case of a metabolic dearrangement?
    Thanks

Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Aaron,
      I don’t personally run a lot of amino acids tests. Mainly because there are so many other influences, i.e. gut problems, dysbiosis. If I do run one I will only do so after I have had the chance of looking at the OAT and possibly stool analysis. Other doctors rely heavily on amino acid testing initially, but I was always taught to work with the gut issues first, then address the amino acids if still imbalanced.

In autism, you can almost predict the sulfur containing amino acids are going to be off, i.e. cysteine, taurine, methionine.

I tend to see a fair amount of amino acid profiles from kids in China. There is a parent there organizing tests and she runs them often for the parents in her client list. Almost 90% are virtually the same.

In this profile I don’t see any ‘zero’s’ Did you mean really low levels?

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

This one had some low ones. The attached one had multiple Zero’s on the AA part of the OAT.

I’m trying how to interpret this part of the OAT since I don’t have a lot of info on it.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
        The lows and zeros on the OAT are clinically insignificant. Low values are not associated with a protein deficit.
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.