swimming from supplements

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements swimming from supplements

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

This is a 3yo boy with regression since ~ 15mo. He’s been GF/DF/dye free for 2 yrs and now low oxalates for a few weeks. Methyl B12 would be the likely culprit for increased swimming I would think- but it sounds like that is a constant and the other supplements (mitospectra, CLO) are more of the culprit to the parents. Please let me know your thoughts!!

Last week from parents-
    “Just wanted to send an update on Landon’s progress so far. At this point, Landon has been getting flagyl, nystatin, glutathione and the probiotic. He is also still getting the CBD oil and melatonin. We try to do epsom salt baths frequently and have continued the vit b12 shots. We will be starting the mita spectrum tomorrow. The spectrum mate vitamin has been pretty difficult to get down; some days, he takes it and some days not. It is very chalky and tastes/smells horrible. We had been putting it in pea protein milk which Landon had been on for awhile, but then read the pea protein may be high oxalate so now he is getting coconut milk. It is a thinner milk and the vitamin just does not dissolve well. I’m really hesitant to doing any smoothies or juices since the oxalates limit what fruits/veggies can be used. I tried the vitamin in coconut milk yogurt and still was terrible. Any suggestions for a different multivitamin?

Also, we stopped the fish oil 8/1. We noticed Landon was stimming way more and pacing nonstop. He was very OCD and just piling toys and moving rocks. We stopped the fish oil and he has been playing much more typically and not just piling things everywhere and pacing. We have seen this behavior before with omegas. We tried flaxseed milk and the same OCD/ stimming behaviors returned. We even just gave him a granola bar with added omegas yesterday and all the same behavior returned. Although he gets very stimmy he does seem to point to objects in books for example wanting us to name them and interact; eye contact is better too with the omegas. We know that the omegas/fatty acids are really important, but not sure how to combat this behavior. Any suggestions?

Landon was having more aggression (biting, pinching, scratching) when nystatin first started. This is improving. He has been more emotional, sometimes crying out of the blue, but this is very short-lived. He has been rubbing head on ground more, maybe having headaches? We assumed this is all normal with die off but wanted to let you know what we are seeing.”

Today from parents-

“I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know how things have been going and see if you had any suggestions. We recently turned in the hair test for heavy metals so that should be in process soon. We are almost done with the Flagyl and have held off on adding the folinic acid and niacinamide as Landon has been having a lot of stimming and has been pacing around the house. We tried to add the cod liver oil back in and that made it a lot worse so we have been holding off on that too. We are doing just one dose of the mitochondrial supplement daily as it seems he is very sensitive to that as well. We were just wondering if you had any suggestions as to what we could do to help cut down some of these behaviors. I know it will back and forth with the stimming but he goes into these pacing episodes and it is hard to break through.”
    Here’s a summary of his OAT-
    OAT- arabinose- 142(h), mildly elevaged HPHPA and 4-hydroxyphenylacetic, oxalic- 185 (h), succinic-73(h), quinolinic-14(h), pyroglutamic/2-hydroxybutyric- high, phosphoric- high (9700),
    what would make phosphoric so high????

swimming=stimming…. spellcheck

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Jessica,
      The high phosphoric could be from the oxalic and metabolic effects from the clostridia.

The reaction to cod liver oil can occur from digestive bacteria imbalance, but also because of the need for L-carnitine supplementation to help the cells metabolize fats more effectively.

The main issues I see is that the clostridia bacteria, as well as quinolinic acid, could really be overstimulating his body and making reactions to other supplements more likely.

What is your outline of treatment for this child, e.g. clostridia, nystatin. I would be more inclined to pull out any supplement the parents feel the child is struggling with and reassess the clostridia markers.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.