Supplement Questions

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Supplement Questions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

How do you decide what supplements to be taken with or without food? Which ones does it really matter for?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Definitely take zinc (especially capsules) with food to prevent nausea. Good idea with copper too. The ionic zinc I haven’t seen nausea problems with though.

Iron is worth taking with ascorbic acid or high vitamin C foods.

Most mineral and vitamin supplements I think go best with food to help aide in digestion and prevent against nausea. Remember, these kids can communicate so nausea could manifest as a behavior problem that the parents interprets as a supplement reaction.

Most supplements will indicate on an empty stomach is indicated. For example, Transfer Factor products are often dosed on an empty stomach.

I have dosed some of the botanicals, i.e. allicin, grapefruit seed extract without food, but these are often mixed in juices to make them more tolerable. Overall, dose with food unless otherwise stated on the bottle.

Dr Woeller

Can Acetyl-L-Carnitine be used instead of L-Carnitine? Also any advantage of using L-Carnitine Fumarate over Tartrate?

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Yes, Acetyl-L-Carnitine can definitely be used. I actually discuss this in the Module #2 document for mitochondrial cocktail supplement options. The fumerate version is one step back from malic acid which could be beneficial as in the process of fumarate to malic conversion and then to oxalacetate there is one NADH generated which is useful for complex #1 of the electron transport chain.

Dr. Woeller

Hi I have few more questions
        What do you recommend for week eye sight.
        If a child press corner of an eye then what could be the reason?
        What about stimming/ if screaming, shouting and verbal stimming increases than how can we help him
        Regards
        Dr. Faiza

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Dr. Faiza,
          Cod Liver Oil is worth using – 2 teaspoons daily. Also, make sure they are getting calcium and magnesium. Calcium deficiency can lead to eye discomfort. General antioxidants like vitamin A, C, and E are important too. Another thing to consider is eye movement imbalance so having the child examined at least by an optometrist is important to as corrective lenses may be needed.

The stimming/screaming, etc. is not remedied by one particular thing unfortunately. There are many potential triggers such as yeast, bacteria, and food sensitivities. Also, anxiety and overall frustration can lead to this as well. The question to ask is when does this behavior manifest? Are there particular circumstances where it is worse or better. Any associated problems recognized with food, etc.

Dr. Woeller

Hi
          From last two weeks i saw easy irritability in Qadir so I go for serum cholesterol and his level is 105 which is very low.
          * what can I add in his diet
          * How can I order sonic cholesterol as it need prescription

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Dr. Khurram,
            You can order Sonic Cholesterol on your own. New Beginnings requires a doctors approval, but it is not an official prescription medication. Since you are a doctor contact them directly at http://www.nbnus.com and let them know you want to order some for yourself and your clinic.

Dr. Woeller

Hi
            Which magnesium form is more better in order to relief anxiety
            *magnesium citrate
            *magnesium glycinate
            * magnesium oxide
            please tell the dosage also
            Thanks

If Hair metal test shows high zinc value then should we stop taking zinc or not.

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

Dr. Khurram

Magnesium – magnesium glycinate is generally best, i.e. 200mg to 400mg daily for most kids.

Zinc removal – I wouldn’t solely rely on a Hair Analysis to determine Zinc status.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.