Starter Supplements/Methylation/Copper

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Starter Supplements/Methylation/Copper

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Parker
    Participant

Hi Dr. Woeller.

I am excited to be joining this course! I had a question about the starter supplement pack from module 1. I noticed there are methylated B vitamins in the multi in the starter kit. I have been taught (for other conditions) not to start with methylated B vitamins until other related pathways (like MAO and COMT) had been addressed, to avoid adverse reactions. Do you find that most autistic kids can handle methylated B vitamins at the beginning of treatment or do you think that the amount methylated folate in this multi is small enough not to have any adverse effect?

I also had a question about copper. Do you find that all autistic kids need to avoid copper or are there some who are deficient in it? I am thinking about kids with genetic variation in their copper transporters.

Thank you very much!
      Rebecca Parker, ND

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Dr. Parker,
        Yes, most handle the methylated B’s, including those in Spectrum-Mate. There are always a few that get hyper and agitated, but not many. Overall, the methyl-folate is relatively small. I am all about working the percentages, particularly in the beginning. Many of these kids are deficient in nutrients and biochemically compromised. It’s been my experience these starter supplements help to fill in the gaps nutritionally to get things rolling. About 90% or more do just fine with the starter supplements.

There are actually some who are deficient, but best tested for in the blood. Not always easy to do, but if you are going to get blood then try adding the Copper and Zinc Profile from Great Plains Laboratory. Overall, I typically avoid Copper, but that also means I am not pushing for high levels of Zinc. I will use Zinc, in addition to the Spectrum-Mate, but unless I have confirmation of low Zinc in the beginning I will hold on it for later.

If you are working on genetic variations than by all means tailor your approach as needed.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Rebecca Parker
        Participant

Yes, thank you, that is helpful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.