Pyridoxine HCL vs P5P

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Pyridoxine HCL vs P5P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have a significant amount of 50mg tablets of P5P that I started on a patient (ie-my daughter) for the purpose of helping to pull down her oxylate levels which are very high. In a previous post you mentioned the HCL form is preferred. Is there any concerns for using P5P (which some other practioners push as being the activated form of B6) or is it simply that the HCL works better and there aren’t any issues with using P5P.

Thanks. I’d heard before that P5P was preferred so now hearing about HCL being preferred in your lecture is throwing me off a little.

Aaron Hartman MD

I have the same question regarding P5P versus HCL form. I’ve heard the same about P5P being the preferred form and so have been recommending it.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Kim and Dr. Hartman,
      I learned from Bill Shaw, Ph.D about the preference for pyroxidine HCL. It is not to say P5P is necessarily a significant problem, but he mentioned biochemically that P5P can be converted back into pyroxidine HCL in the gut anyway. I am frustrated right now because I cannot locate the reference for this recommendation because like everyone else I always assumed P5P was better. I am going to keep this post thread open and get back to you when I find out more.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

I totally understand being frustrated! Thanks for keeping this on your radar!
      Kim

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Kim,
        Thanks. I will keep searching.
        Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

I was able to track down the information for B6 versus P5P. I remembered that the P5P gets converted in the gut, but couldn’t remember how. It turns out that phosphate on P5P can be removed by intestinal phosphatases leaving just the pyroxidine to be absorbed.

Dr. Shaw mentions that P5P appears to be an inhibitor of phenolsulfotransferase (PST). Therefore, in many on the autism spectrum their PST system is weak. This may not be the case per se with many non-special needs adults. I have attached an article I copied from him on this subject.

Sincerely,
          Dr. Woeller

Thank you, Dr. Woeller!

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Thanks. Hopefully, it helps.
            Dr. Woeller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.