Probiotics for Sensitive Patients

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Probiotics for Sensitive Patients

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Champagne
    Participant

Which probiotic did you suggest for those who are exhibiting sensitivities to more main stream brands? I have a patient with confirmed SIBO and Candida that is not tolerating any of the probiotics she has been given.

Thanks,

Liz

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Liz,
        It is possible that someone with SIBO may not tolerate really any probiotic since SIBO is often the overgrowth of normal flora bacteria in the small intestine that is fermenting carbohydrates. Therefore, adding more probiotics into the mix can exacerbate things regardless of what probiotic it is. What I would recommend is doing a comprehensive digestive stool analysis from Doctors Data, Great Plains or another and have the levels of normal flora analyzed, then tailor a probiotic, if any at all, to the flora that are low.

How is the patient being treated for SIBO?

Dr. Woeller

Elizabeth Champagne
        Participant

Thanks, Dr. Woeller,

She has been treated with antibiotics which she did not tolerate, but did complete the regimen.

At this point, she is trying to follow a SCD with elimination of food sensitivities as well. Honestly, she is not compliant. This is not a child and she enjoys entertaining, which has been her biggest obstacle and “EXCUSE”.

She is working with a functional physician and so far all he has done is offer her the antibiotic approach.

She suffers with severe die off reactions when she does try.

We also know that she has elevated mercury levels in which chelation has been suggested, but she has not agreed.

I just recommended the Yeast Control Package from New Beginnings thinking that she may be too sensitive for a combo approach that Biocidin offers.

Would you have suggested something different for her?

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

There is a great article in the February/March 2015 edition of the Townsend Newsletter called “A New Name for Dysbiosis” which is specific to SIBO. The article breaksdown various protocols and a roadmap for intervention based on initial testing for SIBO.

How did her SIBO come about?

Dr. Woeller

Elizabeth Champagne
            Participant

Dr. Woeller,

I honestly do not know the origin of her SIBO. Admittedly, I have not worked with many true SIBO patients beyond helping them with diet. So, I am a bit green on this subject. This is the first patient that has asked for more than dietary intervention and I am enjoying the challenge. Thank you for helping me.

This patient is easily overwhelmed. Would a product such as CandiBactin – BR from Metagenics be a good place to start with her?

Again, thanks for you help.

Liz

DrWoeller
              Keymaster

Elizabeth,
                The product looks fine. Check out the products at Bio Botanical Research too – http://www.biocidin.com. The Biocidin itself is helpful, and also the Olivirex may work too.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.