OATS Example

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing OATS Example

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Attached is another client OAT. Here is my interpretation based on what we learned so far. Is there anything else that I should have noted or be aware of?

Apologies that it did not come through very clearly. It was sent to me by fax.

Thanks,
    Scott

Elevated yeast
    Oxalates – from yeast or diet
    Possibly bacterial dysbiosis
    Low Vitanin C

What do you consider to be surprisingly high for arabinose? When does it represent a serious problem?

Is Hippuric elevation alone with no other bacterial markers significant?

When HPHPA and 4-Cresol are outside of 1 standard deviation but not out of range, would you consider that “normal” or is there likely something brewing with Clostridia?

I am struggling with the Quinolinic/5-HIAA ratio when both on their own are in range. It says it can be excessive inflammation, adrenals, phthalates, etc. Is there a way to determine what course of action to take?

2-Hydroxyhippuric is high – again no aspirin and no Nutrasweet. Would you then run some other test to further evaluate GI bacteria potential? What are some bacteria that are salycilate-producing?

Attachment did not save as it was > 1MB. Trying again as separate files.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Scott,
      Arabinose being high is a problem at any level. Remember, it is breakdown product of hyaluronic acid from candida so cellular effects are occurring. To place a specific number on arabinose as being a problem and not a problem is difficult, and certainly for a serious problem too. However, in general terms, if the value is 1/2 the reference range it can be considered mild. For example, a top level at 50, and the arabinose is 75. If it is double than considered it moderate, and 1-1/2 times severe. But, always remember to apply the lab clinically to your patient. It can be worthwhile to treat anyone with a high arabinose. How aggressive you need to get is based on the clinical presentation of the individual. In this lab the arabinose is at 38 so based on the numbers it is mild, borderline moderate.

The oxalate is mildly elevated too most likely from diet.

High hippuric – and not other bacterial markers is likely food related. Remember though that hippuric can come from toluene exposure, i.e. glues and adhesives so check with your patients about exposures, i.e. workplace, home, new carpets, flooring. With the new chemical exposure lab coming out from Great Plains will make it easier to identify. Some other labs like US Biotek have chemical exposure labs already. Normal bacteria can cause the hippuric to be high too. With the high 2-hydroxyhippuric being high and the high hippuric I would be thinking phenol/salicylate exposure and/or chemicals. I wouldn’t run anymore bacterial tests, but instead environmental chemical exposure. This would go along with the 5-HIAA/quinolinic acid ratio too. Based on what the lab shows this is more likely the problems (chemicals/food) versus bacterial and clostridia.

High normal clostridia markers – I wouldn’t have a problem using probiotics, but I wouldn’t be specifically treating for clostridia. However, a broad-spectrum probiotic with Acidophilus rhamnosus and bifidobacterium bifidum would be worthwhile.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. what is the clinical presentation of this individual?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.