OAT Test on 8 year old

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing OAT Test on 8 year old

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Champagne
    Participant

I just would like to show these results to you to see if my recommendations for the family are on the right track.

8 y.o. female on antibiotics since she was 5 weeks old secondary to ureter reflux. Parents say that without antibiotics she gets UTI’s. Only recently advised to begin probiotics, as in maybe last 2 months. Patient is repeating 2nd grade because she is considered ADD by her teachers. Conventional doctor would like to put her on ADD medication. Parents do not want to medicate.

Questions:

1. I see the elevated Arabinose as I expected. Will recommend botanicals, but how does that work when child is still on antibiotics like she will more than likely continue. She takes Cephalexin 3/4 tsp daily.

2. Oxalic not flagged as elevated, but is out of population range and on upper end of normal. Should I recommend a LOD and Mag/Ca Citrate assuming that it may continue to rise given elevated Arabinose as a preventive measure?

3. Quinolinic/5 HIAA Ratio-Elevated. Along with Lower VMA and HVA levels. Would this mean 5 HTP, Niacin, B6, and Magnesium to support dopamine/serotonin levels?

4. Vitamin C supplements

5. Obviously probiotics

Parents extremely motivated, so I know they will do whatever I recommend.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Liz

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Elizabeth,

1 – arabinose is high, but not like you would expect with the amounts of antibiotics she has been on. Adding some botanicals won’t affect the antibiotics that I know of. You can try some Mannose Powder daily – 1/2 to 1 tablespoon. This can help with E. coli UTI’s.
        2 – I don’t think a strict LOD is necessary, but some calcium/mag with most meals is a good idea, and watching for over-consumption of high oxalate foods.
        3 – check out the DopaPlus from New Beginnings. This is what I would use for the low VMA and HVA. Could also help with ADD. Niacinamide at 500mg daily is worthwhile.
        4 and 5 – vitamin C and probiotics definitely worthwhile.

I hope this helps.
        Dr. Woeller

Elizabeth Champagne
        Participant

Thanks, Dr. Woeller!

Should I not be concerned about serotonin support?

I get confused with the test results because on the 5 HIAA she is .47 and the range is less than 7.7. Isn’t that a good number? What throws me off is the notes from Great Plains suggesting 5 HTP because her marker is below the mean.

Admittedly, I am a bit confused by the ranges and the means. Is it the goal to be within the population range as Optimal levels?

Thanks so much!

Liz

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Elizabeth,
            I should have clarified my answer better. I think the DopaPlus and 5-HTP are worthwhile.

The 5-HIAA is a bit deceiving. This value being below the standard deviation is so common it is rare to see one actually within the colored bar. The difficulty is not knowing if there is a lack of production of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) or a block in releasing serotonin with eventual conversion to 5-HIAA. It probably is a combination of factors. This is one reason for the potential benefit of Respen-A is to aid MAO-A activity.

I admit, that the information from this marker is incomplete and there are other puzzle pieces that could be analyzed, i.e. MAO-A SNP from a Methylation Pathway Panel. Therefore, supplementing with 5-HTP should also be based on clinical presentation of the patient too, but in my experiencing using a little 5-HTP as part of a broader supplement program does provide at least some support.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.