OAT Interpretation

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing OAT Interpretation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I would appreciate any comments on the attached OAT test from an adult male. For the most part, it seems to be pretty good.

From what we have learned, I saw:

1) Yeast – though doesn’t seem terribly high, correct/
    2) Oxalates – Oxalic is elevated. Would you suggest dietary interventions, Candida treatment, or both?
    3) Does the High Quinolinic /5HIAA Ratio tell us anything when both Quinolinic and 5-HIAA were low?
    4) On the 2-Hydroxyhippuric in Detox, if the person does not consume aspartame or aspirin, would we assume this is a GI bacteria? If Clostridia markers were all normal, what steps would you take?
    5) With Phosphoric being low, if the person’s Vitamin D levels are around 80, would there be anything else this might suggest?

Thanks for your insights.

Thanks,
    Scott

Attaching a smaller file since the max file size on the forum seems quite small and it looks like the file did not get posted. Thanks

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Scott,
      I would treat for yeast, but also address oxalates with calcium/magnesium citrate with meals, and look to lower potential consumption of high oxalate foods. Minimally see if patients is eating spinach, berries, nuts and nut butters, and soy products. Then retest in a few months.

The low Quinolinic and 5-HIAA – I don’t see this pattern very often. What is this persons clinical presentation? My suspicion would be poor protein intake or absorption, i.e. low tryptophan.

The low phosphoric acid with a normal Vitamin D suggest poor phosphate consumption – food list http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-phosphorus-foods.php. There is always the possibility of parathyroid problems too.

The high 2-hydroxyhippuric – without consumption of aspirin, NutraSweet or bacterial overgrowth it likely is coming from some other food source.

What are his health issues if appropriate to discuss?
      Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Thanks Dr. W.

Relative to some of the others we looked at, the yeast issue doesn’t seem too significant, correct?

They do eat cashews and almond milk very reguarly as well as strawberries.

Clinical presentation – had Lyme for 20 years though has not been a focus for years and doesn’t present as Lyme. Also lived in a moldy environment and has done work there as well. Remaining symptoms include heightened inflammation mostly in head, neck, and shoulders. Otherwise, functions well but has ongoing detoxification weakness.

Would phosphorous make sense to supplement? Is the low level significant?

On 2-hydroxyhippuric, no aspirin and no NutraSweet. What kind of bacteria might be involved and would we expect to see other markers on the OAT that suggested that if a factor?

Would you say this represents someone in a reasonably good place? Would someone with no known illness have some imbalances in an OATS test?

Thanks

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Scott,
        Yes. It doesn’t seem to significant.

The food is the most significant driving force behind his oxalate levels.

What detoxification weaknesses does he have.

Phosphorus supplements – it is worthwhile adding. How much you will see clinically from it is questionable. Also, incorporating more phosphorus foods is worthwhile too.

I am not exactly sure where the 2-hydroxyhippuric is coming from. It probably is food related since the bacteria markers are normal and consumption of aspirin, etc. is normal.

Overall, based on his OAT, and now knowing about clinical history I would say things look pretty good.

There are so many variables with OAT’s it is hard to pinpoint a specific disorder based on the values themselves. I still feel the test needs to be applied clinically to the patient, then take it from there.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.