Next Steps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi.

I am helping a 5 year old boy.
    He does not speak yet
    He has a few words but understands a lot
    He has behavioral issues
    Not a picky eater.
    Mom and child moved from Albania when he was 18 months old
    Mom is unsure if her home in Albania had mold.

I did an OAT test and Hair Test Analysis.
    Neurotransmitters are a little low (B6 to supplement)
    All minerals and lithium were low.

The GI Map shows significant candida and high normal and opportunistic bacteria traces of H Pylori also.

I thought I would find more for this child.
    Do you think just treating the Candida will help with symptoms or do you recommend any other lab tests.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Rita,
      The low lithium and minerals being low are important. So, you will want to address that.

Finding candida on a stool analysis is revealing as they are often normal. Did the OAT indicate any yeast and fungal markers on page #1?

The low B6 is common and can lead to a host of neurotransmitter imbalances. What did the Neurotransmitter section on the OAT reveal?

The H. pylori may be an issue. I am not as familiar in interpreting that test as I am with other stool analysis.

What are his behavioral issues?

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Hi.

How would I address the low lithium and minerals? Just adding trace minerals?

The neurotransmitter section range from 1.1 (DOPAC) being the lowest to 2.8 (HVA) being the highest.

I am also thinking to myself, doesn’t candida produce acetyl aldehyde and can that not affect methylation? Could the methylation (methyl groups) not be affecting his neurotransmitters and by consequence that is why they are low? Could it also be affecting his detoxification and maybe he could have toxins in his body that he can’t eliminate? The Beta Glucoronadiaise is trending high on the GI Map so could that not be a sign of liver detoxification issues? How much can B6 help methylation if the true root cause was Candida?

Should I recommend some other tests like the mycotoxin or environmental test? Or wait to get the candida and h pylori under control and if symptoms continue then do other testing?

This child is currently taking multivitamin, d3 zinc and mad cal

I got more information from mom regarding her son.He is very hyper not focused. vocal stimming, repetitive behaviours. He has a melt down everyday for different things. Lack of communication is the one that triggers the behaviours along with waiting, change of routine, denied requests. He has started to show some physical aggression recently. he puts a lot of things in his mouth, he like to run and jump a lot. His sleep is challenging and he does not sleep for many hours. He cannot sit for long periods. he wines a lot and kicks sometimes.

Im just at a lost and don’t know what to recommend for this child? What is your professional opinion and how would you help this child.

I appreciate your help so much. Learning so much from you!

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Rita,
        -Yes. That is what I do when minerals are low, including lithium.

-With the HVA being highest, I would suggest general mineral support as mentioned, including some additional ascorbic acid, e.g. 500mg daily.

-Candida, through its production of alcohol, can interfere with Methionine Synthase activity which converts homocysteine to methionine. So, in essence yes, the methylation cycle can be affected by candida. i would agree too that aldehyde of yeast could affect detoxification. Beta-gluronidation being high I believe is linked to phase II detoxification if I am not mistaken.

-It is difficult to give an exact B6 amount for optimal detox as it will be different for everyone. However, I would use a 25mg daily amount as a baseline. I do not know of anything specific that has looked precisely at B6 levels and candida effects.

-I always like doing the MycoTOX Profile, so adding this as the next step is worthwhile.

I would suggest getting going with additional minerals, including Liquid Lithium from New Beginnnings. I like to use a range of 3 to 5 drops daily. You already have him covered with D3, Zinc, and Calcium.

New Beginnings has a Magnesium L-Threonate which is complementary for brain function, as well as Liquid Calm which is nice for calming effect.

Omega-3 fatty acids are important too through Cod Liver Oil. Plus, the Cod Liver Oil has natural vitamin A which can help with visual stimming. I like two teaspoons daily of either the Carlson’s or Nordic Naturals.

A one milligram nightly of melatonin (about 90 minutes before bed) can be helpful too.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. one of things you might consider moving forward is to join our Functional Medicine Clinical Rounds membership site – https://functionalmedicineclinicalrounds.com. Through this website you can schedule one-on-one lab review/case analysis consults with me. Plus, there is a lot of other general educational information too in the website.

Dr. Woeller,

I hope you can help me with this child.

It is a continuation of a thread.

Mom has just reported that these past few week (month) her son has been aggressive and hitting her for no reason.
        Today at school she received a note from the teacher saying they have noticed his aggression has increased i conjunction with his eyes fluttering and rolling back when their response is no thank you when he hits. The eye rolling back is from anywhere between one to five seconds.

Do you think it’s because of his protocol?

He is taking the lithium, l-threonate, cod liver oil but also Tudca, biocidin, glutathione and a binder. I don’t know if the candida is causing these symptoms.

I would love any recommendations on how to move forward urgently

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Rita,
          Difficult to say, but based on what is being given and if there is a link it could be from the following:

-Biocidin – either causing die-off or having a suppression on Candida, but unveiling an underlying clostridia bacterial problem. Its the clostridia that can drive aggressive behavior. I suggest stopping the Biocidin for now.
          -Glutathione – detoxification through glutathione can induce toxin release which can trigger behaviors. I suggest stopping the glutathione for now.

If these are the culprit it may take about a week to see the difference. If stopping these does help it does not explain which one was the causing the problem, but in my experience it is likely the Biocidin followed by the glutathione.

Dr. Woeller

Thank you so much for this prompt response….even on a weekend.

I let mom know. If the problem resolves, how do i go back to continue with the protocol? Do i try something else? How can i help with removing the high candida?

this child has h pylori as well.

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Rita,
            If the problem resolves, I would personally restart the glutathione first, but at 1/2 dose then previously for 72 hours, then up to regular dose for another 3 to 4 days. If all is well, then you will know it was the Biocidin. You can always restart the Biocidin, but is best to go with a lower dose and see how the child does.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.