methy vs hydroxy vs adensyl B12

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements methy vs hydroxy vs adensyl B12

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

In some of the SNP literature in regards to Autism that I’ve read, it discusses the issue of COMT ++ and VRD Taq ++ kids not wanting methylB12 due to the risk of getting too much methyl groups, and just wanting hydroxy and adensylB12. What are your thoughts about that? My daughter is on large ammounts of hydroxy B12 yet her UAA still is showing low levels of methionine and Lysine and methtionine sulfoxide which from a conversation another practioner, he stated is a sign of a need for methylB12. Can you just go on the the clinical picture and see if the patient tolerates the methylB12?

Thanks
    Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      Let me see if I can help you through this. So much of the genomic information needs to be viewed over and over as there are so many moving parts. Let me ask you a few questions:

-What is your daughters MTHFR C677T and A1298C?
      -COMT? is she ++?
      -VDR Taq?
      -BHMT?
      -CBS?

Short of having this information for some individuals (which by the way is common since some families cannot afford the testing) implementing Methyl-B12 is safe to do in my experience. The amount of negative reactors to Methyl-B12 in my experience is so low I feel a trial is worthwhile.

Dr. Woeller

Her status is as follows: MTHFR A1298C -/-

MTHFR C677T +/- MTR A2756G +/- MTRR A66G +/+ MTRR 11 +/+

BHMT 2 +/- BHMT 4 +/- BHMT 8 +/- CBS C699T +/- COMT V158M +/+ COMT H62H +/+

VDR Taq1 +/+ VDR Fok1 +/- MOA A +/- ACAT +/-

Thanks

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
        All of these being + – definitely indicate partial mutations, except for the COMT and MTRR. The COMT is interesting at ++ because, even though there is a homozygous mutation, it actually causes the enzyme to slow down in its use of methylation which can be advantageous to an autistic individual since it doesn’t aggressively pull on methylation (at least according to Amy Yasko, Ph.D).

The BHMT + – point towards an issue with TMG and DMG conversion suggesting more homocysteine available for the trans-sulfuration pathway. Also, the MTHFR points to the same thing. Therefore, the BHMT, and particularly the MTHFR C667T point towards the need for additional methylation support, i.e. Methyl-B12, but the COMT would balance this out. The MTRR regenerates methyl-B12 so a + + here indicates methyl-B12 support even though the COMT is + +

The VDR Taq assists COMT in regulating dopamine. With a ++ with VDR and a ++ with COMT a lot of methylating supplements need to be used with caution.

Therefore, some methyl-B12 is okay, but would avoid TMG and SAMe. Yasko in this scenario would likely recommend some methylation, i.e. DMG, MB12 and hydroxyl-B12.

Dr Woeller

On one of her other tests, her homocysteine levels were low. So I’m assuming wither her CBS + status she is pulling it down to the transulfuratation pathway which is then giving her an increased NH4 and taurine (in addition to the affects of dysbiosis. Would this be a correct assumption?
        Thanks
        Aaron

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
          Yes. I believe so. I definitely think the dysbiosis is not helping matters.
          Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.