Is it really autism

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Is it really autism

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rita Mastrangelo
    Participant

Hi. Wanted your personal opinion on this without judgement.
      When my son was discharged from his treatment program, his psychologist said that many kids were being diagnosed with autism without really being “autistic”. He said when there is something off with a child a parent expects some label when they go to their doctor and because there isn’t a label for everything, they slap on the label of autism.
      It didn’t make sense to me at the time but 9 years into it I am starting to see so many children being diagnosed with autism but I honestly don’t see autism. I see behaviour caused by lack of a whole food diet, an introverted child, a speech delayed child. I don’t see that as being autistic. Perhaps an autistic trait but not autism.
      To add, I don’t believe autism can be reversed. I see symptoms being diminished or a child being in remission. But when i hear someone saying my child is recovered i just see it as that child not being “really autistic to begin with”.

Does that make sense? Of course that is my opinion and some may disagree. I would love your opinion and I hope you don’t mind sharing your thoughts.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Rita,
        This is likely true in some cases. I think the same thing happens with ADD and ADHD diagnoses. In some states like California, having an official diagnosis of autism allows for various state services. I have known parents over the years in California who have sought the diagnosis (and their kids were having legitimate issues) so they could get services like ABA and speech therapy covered.

I agree with you on the autism trait versus true autism…and, completely agree on the underlying biological imbalances being a trigger for problems.

I have seen some very severe cases of “labeled” autism over the years (mostly regressive autism) where biomedical intervention helped them recover. Some of these kids have the same characteristics as those seemingly born autistic. I will say, I do not recall any child who was born with deficits (that are categorized as autism) fully develop in neurotypical teens or adults, but have seen more regressive types regain neurotypical characteristics.

It has been my experience that everyone can be helped, but not everyone will lose their diagnosis or what is considered to autism characteristics completely.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.