Histamine and Mast Cell Disorders

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Histamine and Mast Cell Disorders

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

How common are histamine and mast cell related disorders in autism? How do you test for these issues and how do you approach treatment?

Thanks,
    Scott

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Scott,
      There are a number of tests:

-whole blood histamine
      -tryptase
      -or even a 24-hour urine histamine or N-methylhistamine (the primary metabolite of histamine).

Also, many individuals with high histamine tend to have (in addition to allergy symptoms) the following:

-tendency towards anxiety and stress
      -OCD
      -high libido
      -seasonal allergies
      -and in extreme cases hallucinations

They may manifest with low dopamine, serotonin, and norephinephrine (check OAT markers of HVA and VMA), as well as high whole blood histamine (or even high absolute basophils).

Methylation seems to be the primary problem, so augmenting the methylation cycle can be useful. They can be low in calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin B6 ( check OAT). Sometimes copper will be low on blood testing.

Generally, vitamin C as well as methylation support can be helpful such as DMG or TMG. I have often felt that people who respond quite profoundly to Methyl-B12 may have excess histamine, and actually I have seen allergy symptoms improve with this therapy.

There is a medication called Ketotifen that I have used – either compounded as an oral suspension (1mg/2ml) or 1 mg capsules – both given 30 minutes before food that can helpful symptomatically.

Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Scott,
        There are a number of tests:

-whole blood histamine
        -tryptase
        -or even a 24-hour urine histamine or N-methylhistamine (the primary metabolite of histamine).

Also, many individuals with high histamine tend to have (in addition to allergy symptoms) the following:

-tendency towards anxiety and stress
        -OCD
        -high libido
        -seasonal allergies
        -and in extreme cases hallucinations

They may manifest with low dopamine, serotonin, and norephinephrine (check OAT markers of HVA and VMA), as well as high whole blood histamine (or even high absolute basophils).

Methylation seems to be the primary problem, so augmenting the methylation cycle can be useful. They can be low in calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin B6 ( check OAT). Sometimes copper will be low on blood testing.

Generally, vitamin C as well as methylation support can be helpful such as DMG or TMG. I have often felt that people who respond quite profoundly to Methyl-B12 may have excess histamine, and actually I have seen allergy symptoms improve with this therapy.

There is a medication called Ketotifen that I have used – either compounded as an oral suspension (1mg/2ml) or 1 mg capsules – both given 30 minutes before food that can helpful symptomatically.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.