High 2-Oxoglutaric acid

Home Forums Autism Mastery Mitochondrial Dysfunction High 2-Oxoglutaric acid

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alison Byrd
    Participant

Hi, could I have some help with an Organic acid for a 12-year-old ( 61lbs) autistic boy with severe OCD problems. the organic acid came back with only the following markers showing a problem the 2-oxoglutaric acid marker was very high 129.07 – no other mitochondrial markers or bacterial or yeast markers were raised. other abnormal markers a need for vitamin B6 and the HVA/VMA ratio was high 1.89,
      Background patient gluten-free working on dairy free on some foundational supplements but fight with the mother taking things as very anxious. Can’t swallow capsules
      I was going to start vitamin B6 liquid say 30mg twice a day to help with OCD may be adding in 5HTP 100mg at night. I was not sure what to do with the mitochondrial marker?
      I would love your input Thank you.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Dr. Byrd,
        2-oxo-glutaric is also known as alpha-ketoglutaric acid. It can be elevated with increased glutamate conversion or a problem in the ketoacid dehydrogenase enzyme complex that metabolizes certain amino acids such as leucine, isoleucine, and valine. This enzyme complex is similar to the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex which converts pyruvic acid into acetyl-CoA. There are many nutrients that make up the complex, including magnesium, various B-vitamins, and lipoic acid. However, these complexes are often greatly affected by a lack of B1 (Thiamine). In these cases, I like to implement Benfotiamine (active B1) at one capsule daily to start – https://www.nbnus.net/products/523-benfotiamine-vitamin-b1-60-caps/.

I like the idea of the B6 and 5-HTP too. I like to combine B6 with magnesium. New Beginning Nutritionals has a great Magnesium L-Threonate called iMagT which is a powder and is easy to mix in water or juice – https://www.nbnus.net/products/611-imagt-magnesium-l-threonate/ – I used 1/2 teaspoon twice daily.

I hope this helps.
        Dr. Woeller

Alison Byrd
        Participant

Thank you, that will be helpful.

Alison Byrd
          Participant

Hi, I just wanted to update you this kid is doing so much better with the above interventions, happier more social, and much less OCD! He has even learned how to swallow capsules.
            So my next question is he was taking liquid B6 at 30mg twice a day from DFH,and now want everything in capsules.
            If I swap him to the P5P Mag from nbnus should I do it just once a day or twice a day and will it be too much Magnesium as he is also on 1/2 tsp bid of iMagT. weight is now 64Lbs,
            Thanks Alison

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

Alison,
              He should be fine. If he gets loose stools than you may need to find a B6 without magnesium.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. Great news on the positive changes!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.