Hair Analysis Testing

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Hair Analysis Testing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

So I reviewed the counting rules form the Cultery Protocol and found it interesting that the levels of elements in the hair can be used as a tool to evaluated for metal toxicity affecting transport of these elements. So I assume that in this way, similar to urinary porphyin testing, it can be used as a ‘functional’ analysis of metal toxicity. The protocol specifically names mercury but I assume it could be generalized to other metal toxins (ie-Al). Correct?
    Could you give your input on this based on your clinical expertise?

Thanks
    Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      Yes, it can help with other metals too.

I often use the Porphyrin and the hair as an initial screening test. One reason is the porphyrin urine can be collected at the same time for the OAT.

I use to do a lot of challenge testing with oral DMSA or DMPS. I have done IV challenge too. I think challenge testing is useful if it can be done, but over the past number of years have transitioned to using a low dose DMSA program similar to Cutler’s because it is fairly easy to do, is more gentle overall for kids, seems to be effective, and doesn’t cause the yeast flare-ups that the higher dose DMSA and DMPS causes.

Also, parents overall are generally more comfortable with doing a low dose program overtime, in conjunction with other biomedical interventions. In my experience the number one cause of fear and concern amongst parents about any biomedical intervention is chelation therapy. The detractors on the internet have done a good job at disseminating negative commentary about the alleged dangers of chelation. However, with that the Cutler approach has been effective and rather easy to implement.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.