GFCF diet and topical supplements

Home Forums Autism Mastery Diet GFCF diet and topical supplements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Dr Woeller,
    A couple of questions in relation to diet and supplements please.
    I am under the impression that the GFCF diet follows an “all-or-none” principal. In other words, if we were to simply decrease the intake or limit it to as little as possible, would this not make a difference? Is there a scientific basis for this?
    My second question please is regarding topical supplements. For example, does topical glutathione work as well as the oral form. I have to try alternative methods because my son doesn’t swallow pills. Whenever possible i go with oral or parenteral forms. Eg Methyl B12 injections turned out to be very convenient so I can actually use them with ease. I feel that they have a superior effect in comparison with other forms like nasal sprays etc.
    Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Riham

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Riham,
      The GFCF diet should be ‘all or nothing’ in the beginning for at least 3 months (minimum). This is the only way to see its true effectiveness. Otherwise, just reducing the consumption in the beginning won’t give a clear picture. Its like telling someone who has a drinking problem to just cut back on their drinking versus going off of alcohol completely. Typically, within 4 to 6 weeks its pretty clear whether the diet is having obvious effects. Therefore, get a clear picture first than decide if modifying makes sense overtime. Some kids do okay with reduced intake, but I would only make this determination after a complete elimination trial in the beginning.

I don’t feel any topical supplement works as well as oral. However, this is not to imply that topicals don’t work at all, but usually not a good. Topical glutathione is okay and better than nothing. My favorite form of glutathione is the lipoceutical (liposomal) glutathione from New Beginnings Nutritionals.

I don’t have a lot of experience with transdermal vitamins, but I cannot imagine them working great.

I hope this helps.
      Dr. Woeller

Thanks Dr Woeller.
      I have the same feeling about topical supplements.
      How about Low dose Naltrexone? I have it compounded at Hopewell pharmacy and prepared as a topical cream.
      Thanks for your help.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Riham,
        Topical LDN is good. I use it quite often.
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.