Foundational Supplements

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Foundational Supplements

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rita Mastrangelo
    Participant

Happy New Year!

I’m working on a group program for my FB community and I’m touching upon the starter supplements but I would appreciate some clarification and more information?

I understand why the multivitamin is important but why specifically Spectrum Mate?
      Also what is the benefit is the cod liver oil. I thought you mention it helps with the removal of dairy but then why do you recommend adding the calcium+magnesium?
      Would you recommend a probiotic as well or should that wait?
      What if a child is already taking daily supplements?

Thank you kindly,

Rita

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Rita,
        It does not have to be Spectrum Mate. That is the one I have used with good success for years so it is a preference. I was only showing it as an example.

Cod Liver Oil in autism has two purposes. One is the essential fatty acid component or omega-3’s, but also the natural Vitamin A. The natural Vitamin A for some kids helps to activate G-protein receptors in the eyes which help with visual information transfer to the visual cortex. This can help with reduction or elimination of visual stimming such as side-glancing.

The calcium-magnesium is a good blend of these two minerals and replacing them, particularly calcium, is very important after removing cow daily because calcium levels can drop significantly. For some kids the only source of calcium they are getting of any significance is dairy. Some autistic kids can develop eye irritation without calcium and in extreme cases there can be eye poking and pushing.

I like to wait on probiotic until after the lab tests come in, e.g., OAT, comprehensive stool.

If you feel like they are already on good supplements that are covering the foundations than there is no reason to switch.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.