Fermented Applesauce

Home Forums Autism Mastery Diet Fermented Applesauce

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dr. Woeller and All!

In last weeks Q&A I asked about fermented foods with children. Although I do not treat children as of yet, I have given the following recipe to adults who then make and give to their young children with good acceptance. Of course you have to have a motivated patient and make it, but it’s pretty easy.

Fermented Applesauce

• 6 – 8 medium size organic apples
    • 2 tablespoons whey or water kefir
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon real sea salt (optional)

Directions
    1. Core and slice apples.
    2. Process apples in food processor until it reaches desired consistency. Add whey or water kefier, cinnamon and salt.
    3. Blend until smooth.
    4. Pour apple sauce into a clean quart size jar (or 2 pint size jars).
    5. Leave an inch of space from apple sauce to lid. If you don’t, you may have an explosion!
    6. Place in warm place for 3 days, then refrigerate.
    7. Keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months. Discard any unused after 2 months.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Kim,
      Thank you. This is great idea for kids since so many parents use apple sauce. I am assuming this would work well for pear sauce too.
      Dr. Woeller

Yes, I’ve made the same recipe using pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, cantaloupe, watermelon or strawberries.

Kim

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Kim,
        That is awesome. Sounds like you have a good thing going with you nutritional knowledge and food ideas.
        Dr. Woeller

This topic reminded me of an article I read the other day which included a recipe for potato salad. Instead of using vinegar in the dressing, it used the juice from cultured fermented vegetable, which of course has a nice tang! One more way to get some probiotics into children. I use the juice also when making vinaigrettes and other salad dressings…almost any recipe that uses vinegar.

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Kim,
          Great ideas. Thank you.
          Dr. Woeller

Kim:

What is your potato salad recipe? Mind sharing?

Thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.