Elevated Taurine on UAA

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing Elevated Taurine on UAA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

You mentioned taurine as being neuroprotective (due to maintenance of CNS magnesium levels). Is too much taurine a problem? Attached is my daughters UAA.
    Her orotic on OAT was upper normal but her ammonium is quite high. How would you interpret that in light of the rest of her testing?

In your opinion, what is the utility of getting a UAA? It seems its being used mainly to rule our genetic organic acid issues. Do you use it and if so how?

Thanks
    Aaron Hartman

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      High ammonia could come about from taurine supplementation. Also, I believe there is a taurine wasting problem with the kidneys, but cannot remember the reference for this.

The other possibility is a CBS upregulation where homocysteine is pulled aggressively towards taurine causing depletion of Methionine. I would be interested to check a serum amino acids to see how these values correlated.

The ammonia too could be gut derived from all of the dysbiosis. High protein diet may contribute too.

One area I haven’t been able to spend much time on is the Citrulline-Arginine pathway. This is another area of research that could be worthwhile. Its another layer of potential biochemical imbalance with some kids. Dr. Yasko has written about this in her material.

I cannot remember if you have done a Methylation DNA Pathway panel? I think you may have.

Dr. Woeller

Dr. Woeller,

Could you consider trying Yucca root to help bring down ammonia levels since it is reported to be effective for reducing ammonia generation in the intestines?

Kim

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Kim,
        Yes. This is a consideration and I know something Dr. Yasko has mentioned in the past.
        Dr. Woeller

She is CBS +/- and I’ve implemented AKG to help with this as well as DMG to help bypass her multiple BHMT SNPs. She’s on activated charcoal as well as VSL #3. I just got a new OAT this weekend so will see how she does with this but I’m curious if you had any other thoughts.
        Aaron Hartman MSD

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
          Yes. I thought she was CBS positive.

I will be interested in seeing how the new OAT looks. It sounds like the remedies you are doing should be helpful.

Does she move her bowels daily?
          Dr. Woeller

Yes, usually 2x a day but at least once and they are significant BMs.

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
            Okay. This is good. I have seen on many occasions that constipation leads to worsening behaviors related to bowel toxicity.
            Dr. Woeller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.