Duration and frequency of visits

Home Forums Autism Mastery Practice Management Duration and frequency of visits

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Dr. Woeller,
    I am curious about roughly what length of appointment you recommend when you see patients. Also, how frequent do you schedule appointments for follow up (e.g. next appointment after 4 weeks, or 6 weeks)?
    Do you see the children themselves as well, or mostly consult with the parents?
    I can imagine that it would be useful to see the child in person the first time, or at least watch a video of the child that the parents took, but that it may be distracting or disruptive to have the child there during long discussions.
    It seems like the first visit would have to be at least an hour to cover all the history provided.
    I would really appreciate your input on this.
    Thanks a lot

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Janneme,
      My initial consultation is scheduled for one hour. However, I do spend time preparing for each consult and then program development afterwards. Follow-ups are usually 4 to 6 weeks later depending on how many lab were ordered, but typically 4 to 6 weeks. I will typically try and schedule another follow-up 6 to 8 weeks after that.

When I have in-person consults it is with the parent and child, but we recommend they bring someone along who can watch the child after my examination. Most of the consult is spent with the parent(s).

You are correct that at least an hour is needed. It is very difficult to do an initial consult in anytime shorter than this.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.