DNA results

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing DNA results

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dr. Woeller,
    I received a copy of these results from a patient earlier this week. I read through some of the information about the results from GPL, but still not sure what I am looking at. Are there any sources you recommend for these results?
    Thank you!

Great question! I get these results from time to time as well. I’ve looked at Dr. Yasko’s work and how she addresses these but it isn’t very clear exactly how she addresses these. Do you use any of her work or products to address some of these complex DNA results or mainly rely on biomedical testing (ie-OAT) to help address the epigenetic aspect of DNA expression.

To be honest, I have no idea who she is or what this means. I am punting on this one, so any help or advise is greatly appreciated!

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Great Plains as their new DNA methylation pathway panel – http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/dna_methylation.asp. It does come with interpretation of any abnormal finding.

Amy Yasko, Ph.D. has done the vast majority of writing and speaking on these panels. Her work is extensive, but very time consuming to go through. However, she is still a great resource for understanding more in-depth how these SNPs interact at a biochemical level. Some of her views are controversial, but overall I have found her work interesting and applicable is some circumstances. However, this is definitely advanced information and doesn’t always have practical uses for many basic programs for kids on the spectrum. I will cover some of the more common SNPs in our methylation lecture as it relates to the Great Plains panel. The mains one I have focused on are the MTHFR, COMT, and MAO-A.

The problem with Yasko’s programs is they are very time intensive, expensive, and require a tremendous of self-study for a parent. In my experience you need a parent who is willing to study her work as well regarding their particular child because there are so many combinations of SNPs it can be difficult to integrate when you have multiple patients, unless you specifically dedicate your practice to her work almost exclusively. I know of one doctor that has done this, but has taken a number of years to perfect her level of understanding.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. I have used some of her products in the past, but many of them, except for the RNA remedies, I can get elsewhere, i.e. New Beginnings, OUrKidsASD. I don’t follow her ongoing work that closely.

Thank you guys! I appreciate the direction. I am updating this patient’s OATs and Food Panel clinically but was ready to start mowing lawns for a living after seeing this!

I have followed Dr. Ben Lynch’s work on methylation. Lots of podcasts and webinars on his website that you can view. I agree, Dr. Yasko’s supplements are pretty pricey and I find most patients cannot afford. Myself and another class member taking this training, viewed a webinar series on Genomic Medicine given by KeyCompounding.com over this past Winter. It was well done and definitely provided a foundation for those wanting to delve more deeply into genomics. It’s still available and now they offer it as a package deal price.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Kim,
        Thanks for the information.

The study of methylation and the other SNPs is important, but can be tricky to really tease out what is clinically relevant in any given situation. It is not uncommon for parents to be offered up 15 to 20 different supplements to take just based on one test. It gets excessive and from a broader picture doesn’t make sense. Therefore, I have tended to focus on what I perceive to be the major players off an SNP panel, but also understand that in 80% or more of the time special needs kids do really well with basic methylation support, sometimes opposite to what their lab test for SNPs show. In many regards the real test is the individual child’s body.

Dr. Woeller

In total agreement with you Dr. Woeller regarding NOT letting numerous SNPs drive treatment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.