Digestive Issues

Home Forums Autism Mastery Digestive Problems Digestive Issues

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Delores Alleckson
    Participant

24 year old female, non verbal, SIB’s, chronic constipation. Lies flat in the bath tub in order to have a BM. Has been on lactulose and magnesium/potassium combination long term for constipation. Experiences bloating, stool contains undigested food- vegetables and fruits, has been mustard colored since starting supplements. GF/CF diet. Treated for yeast past month, currently refusing the candida formulation. Continues with Biocidin. Suggestions for enzymes/supplements to assist with digestion? SIB’s occur prior to BM’s.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Delores,
        This is some serious constipation. Certainly, not normal or typical. I personally would not have an issue continuing Biocidin, but clearly there needs to be more work done on constipation. How long has this been going on? Has she every been scoped to try and find the cause or pathology related to this level of problem?

Dr. Woeller

Delores Alleckson
        Participant

Mom reports these issues have occurred since since she was a young child. She regressed around age 2 after vaccinations. Has had an endoscopy, was informed that she would have life long constipation issues. Mom did not know why. Questions: Refer for further assessment? What about enzymes for undigested food in the BM’s?

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Delores,
            I think digestive enzymes are a good idea, as well as bile and liver support. For example, Designs for Health (D4H) has some good products that are certainly appropriate for an adult:

-Colon Rx – one to two capsules nightly before bed. This is magnesium hydroxide and triphala which helps with constipation and tone within the large intestine
            -Phosphatidylcholine – one to two capsules nightly before bed to assist with bile production
            -LV-GB Complex – this product is a combination nutrient to aide in liver function and bile release – two to four capsules daily.

In addition, some type of enzyme with HCL can be helpful. D4H has Digestzymes which is very good. One capsule with meals.

Many people like this are not getting enough fiber either and drinking enough fluids. A supplement called TruFiber is a soluble non-gritty fiber supplement that can be added to water or juice. I would suggest at least one tablespoon daily.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.