Copper/Zinc ratios

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lynn AltierNeed
    Participant

Hi Dr. Woeller,
      Can you please advise how to determine a ratio from two serum tests? For example, my client has a serum copper level of 1.11 mcg/ml in a range of .75 – 1.45
      and a serum zinc level of .78 mcg/ml in a range of .66 – 1.10.

Much appreciated,
      Lynn

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lynn,
        Are you talking about something like this from Great Plains Copper and Zinc Profile – http://static1.squarespace.com/static/560ac814e4b067a33438ecea/t/563cf15de4b00c9a5ef6b6a2/1446834525588/Copper+Zinc+ProfileSampleReport.pdf – Where the ratio is 0.8 to 2.0 for Copper/Zinc?

If so, then your patients value would be 1.42 which is normal.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
        Participant

Dr. Woeller,
          Currently, the markers were indicated by Mayo Clinic. I was wondering if there was a means to calculate the ratio.

Respectfully,
          Lynn

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Lynn,
            I am not exactly sure what you are asking. I believe the ratio and individual calculation of zinc and copper, and the potential problems, comes from the work of William Walsh and the Pfeiffer Treatment Institute – at least some of it does. I don’t personally know as far as other medical literature. Certainly in Wilson’s Disease the copper is a problem.

Dr. Woeller

According to Walsh, serum copper : plasma zinc ratio should ideally be 0.8 to 1.0

According to him, bipolar is commonly associated with ratio of 1.2 and higher. I don’t think Walsh has published anything in peer-reviewed journals, which many practitioners hold issue with.

Your patient’s ratio of 1.4 is high. But looks like you got serum zinc rather than plasma; not sure if that gives a different value than plasma, probably not.

Here’s a walsh calculator online: https://instacalc.com/39852

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.