Constipation

Home Forums Autism Mastery Digestive Problems Constipation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rita Mastrangelo
    Participant

Hello,

I have a mom that said she stopped with the multi because it caused constipation for 2 months
      she said that once she removed it her son was feeling better.
      Could the multivitamin (spectra-mate) be the cause of constipation?
      From what she tells me her son is a great eater so I don’t know what it could have been.
      If the multi was the case, how would you address it?

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Rita,
        It might be related. However, if a multivitamin/multimineral is causing constipation I would be more concerned about the individuals digestive system versus the supplement. Personally, I would just start looking at gut function overall, including microbiome status, etc. and skip over the multivitamin/mineral at this point.

Dr. Woeller

Rita Mastrangelo
        Participant

Regarding digestive systems—what in particular? What tests do you mean and what should I be looking for?
          What could be causing the constipation? She doesn’t understand how testing digestion will explain the comstipation of multivitamin.
          My client is insisting that it’s iron or copper in the multi that is causing the constipation, although I have never heard that before.

At this point I don’t know how to respond.

Help 🤯

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Rita,
            To start the assessment for gut health and function do an Organic Acids Test and Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis as we discussed during the Autism course.

However, with regards to constipation from a multivitamin, it may very well be happening. It is certainly not common, but may happen. As to what ingredient would be causing it…??? I do not know either.

BTW – The Spectrum-Mate we discussed during the course does not contain Iron or Copper.

The point I was getting at is when you have a strange reaction like this, i.e., constipation from a common supplement that many other people use without issue, then it really speaks more to the dysfunction in that person’s digestive system as opposed to the supplement itself. Therefore, a path to take if a patient or parents wants to is to evaluate gut function to see what kinds of imbalances may exist that can be worked.

Does this make sense?

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.