Alpha Lipoic Acid

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Alpha Lipoic Acid

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am currently listening to your Chelation lecture in module #16. It is really great, but I was wondering your perspective on Alpha Lipoic Acid.

I did a lot of homework on Alpha Lipoic Acid, and I learned a lot about it to the point where I made it a major nutrient in my protocols.

But I read an article on Weston Price that “ALA” shouldn’t be used for ANYTHING but mercury chelation, because it can concentrate mercury in the brain, etc…

I think this is categorically wrong, because once ALA binds to a toxin, it is immediately transported to the liver and then kidneys for detoxification. I can see how things can get clogged up as a result of certain meds blocking liver detox, but I cannot see how a substance that is produced generally in large amounts by the body could concentrate mercury in the brain.

Contrary to this, I use ALA up to 1800mg/day, in 3 doses. The most common empirical result is a report of greater energy, and when I combine it with vitamin C no one ever gets sick. This article was stating that there is long term “neurological effects” of using ALA but there wasn’t a citation for this and I never heard this before. I have read about practitioners that used gram-amounts of IV-ALA to cure acute liver failure in a matter of days, and that up to two grams a day would have particular regenerative effects. I can vouch for the latter. I have yet to do any real lab testing on this. But I think that long term, gradual use combined with a biochemical protocol would yield some excellent results. Over the past year I have found it to be useful, at 1200-1800mg/day.

Do you have any views on this?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Michael,
      I don’t agree with everything from the Weston Price (WP) group either. Generally, they tend to be more about whole food or whole food concentrates. That’s why a lot of people who go through their or similar trainings tend to use Standard Process supplements. In the past I used Standard Process, but overtime found them to not be that effective for compromised individuals. I have seen the WP group comment on Cod Liver Oil (CLO) and that it should be avoided. However, I have seen tremendous benefit from CLO.

Your commentary regarding ALA I believe is the same/similar to Andy Cutler who originated the low dose DMSA approach.

Researched Nutritionals has a liposomal Vitamin C product with lipoic acid to help in antioxidant status and regeneration of glutathione.

Kurt Woeller, D.O.

I agree Dr. Woeller and on WP or strictly using SP Products. The issue with Cod Liver oil is the politics that came up with Green Pastures Cod Liver Oil and I think WP felt the need to break away from them due to the bad press GP was getting. I have never felt that people on it had a decent Vit D level (which was WP and GP claims in the past).

I invite you to look at Restorative Formulations they have come up with some great products that are working really well for me, my daughter and many of my clients. They address the issue of MTHFR (which many SP products have come up short on). If the New Beginning products aren’t working for someone I have switched to using Restorative. Once again cookbook approach doesn’t work for everyone right?

I am especially liking: Metabolic Nutrition, Mitochondrial PQQ and they just came out with Neuro GI that has a little Tryptophan in it. I like this for those with sluggish bowels and lots of emotional stress.

RES Cell Nutrition (AKA Metabolic Nutrition): NOW IN CAPSULES! Cell Nutrition is a high-nutrient multivitamin, mineral and trace element supplement designed to support cell function, promote detoxification, and provide nutritional cofactors for optimum health. designed to quickly provide comprehensive nutrient support in a highly bioavailable, water soluble form. This helps to ensure optimal metabolism at the cellular level. Cell Nutrition is a powdered herb drink that is flavored with a pleasant tasting certified organic orange fruit flavor. The dose can be easily adjusted to suit individual needs. Bioflavonoids and high amounts of Vitamin C and calcium pantothenate support healthy adrenal function. The specially designed formula contains Methylcobalamin, an active form of Vitamin B12. B12 can support circadian rhythms, well-being, alertness, and concentration, and sleep quality. Chromium and magnesium help to promote glucose metabolism. Selenium is an important mineral that supports detoxification. High levels of Vitamin D3 have been shown to have many beneficial effects, including the support of bone density and immune function. The addition of Bromelain to the formula enhances digestion and bioavailability of the nutrients.
      Per one daily dose:
      • Vitamin D3 (4000 IU)
      • Vitamin K2 (240 mcg) in the form of MK7
      • Vitamin B6 (20 mg) in the form of pyridoxal 5-phosphate (P-5-P )
      • B12 (800 mcg) in the form of methylcobalamin
      • Folate (800 mcg) in the form of 5-MTHF Quatrefolic®
      • CoQ10 (50 mg)
      • L-Carnitine Tartrate (50 mg)

Microbiome Px contains goldenseal and berberine, an active alkaloid compound that can be sourced from a wide variety of medicinal plants. Berberine has been shown to support the microbiome by favoring the healthy bacteria naturally present in the gastrointestinal tract. It also inhibits division of non-native bacteria, and research indicates that berberine can interrupt biofilm stability. Berberine supports short chain fatty acid (SCFA)- producing bacteria. SCFA are an energy source for large intestine epithelial cells, and have a positive effect on immune and inflammatory function. In addition to microbiome activities, berberine also activates AMPK, supports healthy blood sugar metabolism, and supports healthy cardiovascular actions.

Mitochondria Nutrition PQQ is a multivitamin providing the following super bioavailable nutrients for optimal mitochondrial activity:
      • PQQ – pyrroloquinoline quinone (20 mg)
      • Vitamin D3 (4000 IU)
      • Vitamin K2 (240 mcg) in the form of MK7
      • Vitamin B6 (20 mg) in the form of pyridoxal 5-phosphate (P-5-P )
      • B12 (800 mcg) in the form of methylcobalamin
      • Folate (800 mcg) in the form of 5-MTHF Quatrefolic®
      • CoQ10 (50 mg)
      • L-Carnitine Tartrate (50 mg)
      • This formulation was developed by practicing physicians and medical professors to offer a product which is therapeutic for treating common nutritional deficiencies. The easy 1-2 capsules per day dosage is designed to enhance patient compliance.

Neuro-GI Px supports the body’s natural elimination process with herbs and nutrients which stimulate peristalsis. It supports the gut-brain axis by providing nutrients and compounds which are necessary for the production of key neurotransmitters which coordinate gastrointestinal motility.

There are a few products from Systemic Formulas that has really made great changes in clients with methylation issues and/or gluten sensitivities:

ZGlut This formula is a combination of concentrated enzymes and herbs designed to support the digestion of gluten and casein. Alpha-Galactosidase, Amylase, Baccilus Coagulans, Beta-Glucanase, Betaine HCI, Cellulase, Cranberry (Fruit), Ginger root, Glucoamylase, Gluten Free, Golden Seal (Root), Lactase, lipase, Oregano, Phytase, Protease I II III IV V, Rose Hips (Herb), Spearmint (Leaves), Vegan, Xylanase

file:///C:/Users/Valerie/AppData/Local/Temp/850%20MORS.pdf
      MoRS supports the inherent methylation processes by providing the converted forms of the B vitamins—B9 and B12 —in a matrix of synergistic vitamins, minerals, and botanical activators. Methyl molecules serve thousands of the body’s innate processes including cellular purification of metabolic discards and xenobiotic acquisitions. Beyond the MTHFR genetic anomalies that are cited as affecting some 42% of the population, many of the environmental stressors challenging humanity today deplete the body of available methyl donors. Coupled with poor nutritional intake and uptake of B vitamins, many people may have a
      deficiency of viable B vitamins for their body’s cellular requirements
      CONTRAINDICATIONS •Can aggravate “over-methylators.”• Take at a separate time from Rx medication.
      •Check with physician or health care practitioner if pregnant

I use the MORS liquid (it comes in caps as well) and love it! I feel more energetic and when I add the SP Phosfood liquid I have no joint pain.

Hi Valerie,

Yes, I use Restorative a lot. In fact, back in 2010, I was at their certification conference, before they had this new and useful line of products. I use their Multi and the Ubiquinol.

I use about 15 different companies and I spend a lot of time devising specific protocols for patients.

So, yes, good call on the Restorative Formulations. They have good stuff.

Michael:

You mentioned about presenting lectures and I know Restorative is always looking for presenters. Have you considered talking to Jenn who runs the education for Restorative (or at least she used to).

Where are you located, I’m curious. Do you mind sharing which companies you are using? I also spend a lot of time trying to find the right product fit for a client’s condition and I would be interested in learning what you use.

I like this forum for sharing information. Definitely another path towards learning as well.

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for your replies! It is always fun to have dialog with other practitioners doing the great work.

I talk to Lindsey pretty often, and she puts my orders in. Restorative Formulations is a really nice company. I absolutely love the Metabolic Nutrition product. I’d love to maybe work with them or anyone else that thinks I can make a meaningful contribution. I really have a lot of fun with this stuff and I enjoy this subject matter tremendously.

Most of the companies that Dr Woeller uses are the ones I use. But here is a brief synopsis of some of what I use and from whom:

New Beginnings: Oxypowder, Lithium Orotate, and I bought up the last of their pure niacin a few years back. Niacin has such a tremendous shelf life that even several years past the exp date, 100MG still gives me a powerful flush! The probiotics are really good, and I have used the high potency powder in the past. I also buy my VSL#3 from New Beginnings, and if you haven’t used that product yet, absolutely check it out.

Klaire: Most of my probiotics are from Klaire. I use the Factor 1, 4, and 6; the Factor 6 works wonders for any issue with the prostate or UT, and it is used for Kidney health a lot. The Therbiotic Complete is a great product as well for a super-multi species. I use the Vital 10 powder for my cat, because it is so ultra pure, and it made a huge difference in keeping her healthy going into her 17th year. And their Sac-B is my preferred product of that species. I use a lot of their other products as well, and they are my main vendor for supplements.

Patient-One: They have good stuff, and I use their Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg, and they have a lot of single-nutrient supplements. I am from the same town as Gerard, who also used to work for Physiologic before they closed down. If you contact them, feel free to say you know me through the course 🙂 They are really friendly and they have good stuff for sure.

Allergy Research Group: I use a lot of their vitamin C products and they have a really great multi-species called the “essential biotic complete” that they just created to compete with the Klaire Therbiotic Complete. It is a solid 50B CFU product that doesn’t require refrigeration, so I have worked this in as a “general” probiotic that some of my patients use when they don’t have refrigeration available. It is still rather new so I haven’t had much of a chance to use it yet.

Masters Supplements: They have some great combos, and a 50b CFU multi-strain Bifido product that is amazing. It’s my main Bifido product, and I use it together with the Factor 4 from Klaire, and the Securil from ARG. This is the same company that makes the TruFiber Dr Woeller recommends, which is how I discovered them. I had the pleasure of meeting Jeff, the VP, and he was the one who showed me the data about L Plantarum competing with Bifido. So, I use the Bifido away from the LP299v and I try to use multi-species that don’t have L Plantarum + Bifido in the same capsule.

As far as spore forming/soil based, Masters Supplements has a “TruFlora” that has several bacillus strains and also other native probiotics, which is also why I tend to use certain natives with soil based species. Like I said before, it is all about which ones are going to compete with each other for adherence to specific places in the gut. And some, it would seem, would affect organs outside of the gut probably more so than the gut itself, such as the Factor 6, which I can personally vouch for its kidney, prostate, and urinary benefit.

I hope this helps you out!

Thank you so much great information for my tool box!

Valerie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.