9 y.o. Case

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Champagne
    Participant

I had a 9 y.o. Autistic male in my office today that pooped in his pants creating quite a stir in our facility to clean him up. Mom is frazzled because this happens as often as two to three times a day.

She says that without probiotics he’s constipated and with probiotics he’s this way.

She is giving him a brand of probiotics that I am not familiar with from a Direct Sales company that has 10 billion cfu’s and 9 different strains.

Main concern from mom is aggressive behavior that is getting worse (I have a bruise to prove it-OUCH). And she is concerned about his sporadic constipation diarrhea symptoms.

I am encouraging her to do the OAT, of course. She is limited on funds and is desperate for answers. She is willing to find the money to do the Basic Autism panel but is asking how necessary are these tests and which ones are more important that then others.

Do you know if Medicaid pays for any of these tests?

Any input on probiotics at this point? I did see the child’s stool and it is grainy, foul smelling, and consist of whole undigested foods. So, I am assuming a good digestive enzyme would help too. He swallows pills well.

Thanks,

Liz

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Elizabeth,
        I am imagining you going to practice in a hazmat suit 🙂

Tell mom all the tests are important, and this behavior is not normal in autism, and will only get worse if left uninvestigated. If money is really tight than at least do the OAT, and have the child go GFCF ASAP, making sure to at least supplement for calcium.

Digestive enzyme – I would do the Zyme-Prime capsule (1 to 2 with meals – start with 1 first).

Probiotic…hmmm. His gut is likely a major mess so I am not sure of one best at this point. I would want to see the OAT first at least. How about 1/2 the current probiotic dose and a little magnesium citrate and/or slippery elm (2 to 4 capsules daily).

This kid definitely needs to get off of gluten and dairy if not already.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

P.S. Medicaid – I am not entirely sure. Contact Great Plains directly and they can provide the answer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.