The Order of Correction SIBO, Candida, Clostridia

Home Forums Autism Mastery Digestive Problems The Order of Correction SIBO, Candida, Clostridia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

When an individual patient ( autistic or not) has testing results that reveal the presence of (1) SIBO, (2) Candida with associated invasiveness ( + Arabinose/ Tartaric Acid) ) and (3) the presence of Clostridia toxins, is there a better order of correction to follow ?

I understand that if a patient exhibits mild Candida and severe Clostridia on testing, one would likely focus on the Clostridia first, rather than starting with Candida and then adding in the every 3rd day cycling eradication of Clostridia 2-3 weeks after beginning Candida eradication.

But where does the correction of SIBO fit into the order of an approach? Does it make sense to identify and correct the upper SIBO intestinal flora pathology along with improving digestion and motility before….attacking directly the downstream Candida or Clostridia? Is there a way to quantify mild SIBO from sever SIBO ? and if so, does that change the order of eradication? . Any tips to suspect the presence of SIBO when the typical bloating symptoms and probiotic intolerance are not present and yet the patient still has SIBO on testing?

A few Biofilm questions: Biofilm eradication would seem to be best addressed when initial corrections of SIBO, Candida, and Clostridia have been accomplished or …does the symptom severity of a patient possibly require a biofilm strategy earlier? How does one know or strongly suspect a biofilm is present– ie. is it by the specific symptoms or some pattern of findings on a OAT test/ Breath test? Lastly is a repeat normal SIBO breath test and/or a normal OAT test and/or clinical improvement the only ways to know when the biofilm is gone?

Thank you for your thoughts and any approach recommendations.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Richard,
      The 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid on the Organic Acids Test may indicate SIBO, but a definite confirmation from a breath testing is needed, which isn’t always easy to obtain. Therefore, in the autism population, it is not easy to absolutely confirm.

Clostridia could be part of SIBO. If I had absolute confirmation of SIBO and clostridia I would be going after the clostridia first, then progress into SIBO + Candida treatment from there. However, I would also start some pro-motility remedies too along with the clostridia intervention. A good one is Ibergast which is a botanical used for poor digestion. In my experience, the SIBO and candida treatments are lengthy courses of intervention, whereas the clostridia treatment is not.

Biofilm – no specific way to test for it in the digestive system. I agree with you in that specific intervention for biofilm is not something I do until we have had a chance to treat other things, i.e. clostridia, candida for awhile, SIBO. Also, a remedy like Biocidin is known to affect biofilm too already.

Please review the material in Module #5 for Biofilm. Slides 49 and 50 address your question about suspicion for biofilm.

I hope this helps.
      Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.