Prioritizing supplements

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Prioritizing supplements

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello Dr Woeller,
    I guess I was waiting until we are advanced enough in the course before I ask this question, but I’m just really curious. I have only recently become aware of the importance of biomedical interventions and supplements in autism. I am overwhelmed with the number of supplements that I need to give my 8 year-old who, by the way, does not swallow capsules. Vit C, vit A, Zn, Mg, spectrum vitamins and minerals, omega 3, anti-Candida, liver support, (was advised to start Bioray NDF, but did not do so yet), glutathione, Lithium, enhansa (for inflammation), probiotics. In addition, following several episodes that most probably reflect PANS, we added low dose Naltrexone, Vit B12 injections, GABA and 5-HT. I am also working with a homeopath who prescribed 2 remedies, mainly aimed at addressing the episodic “PANS” attacks. I am additionally trying (with difficulty), to stick to a GFCF diet and heal the gut (bone broth, camel’s milk). I was also advised to start adrenal support and CBD. How does one prioritize?

Dear Dr Woeller,

Many parents do the lab tests for different vitamins and minerals before adding the supplements.

My questions are:
    1) Are the lab tests for differents vitamins and minerals before adding the supplements necessary? For example, before adding Spectrum Mate,cod liver oil, calcium+magnesium?

2)What if the levels of vitamins and minerals (in blood) are normal? For example, calcium, magnesium, zinc, B12, folates and so on. Should parents still add Sectrum Mate? I’ve noticed that many parents are afraid of vitamins and other supplements…

Thank you very much!
    Best regards,
    Irina

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Riham,
      My apologies in not responding to your question earlier. The system didn’t notify me of your post.

This is definitely a lot of supplements. I am noticing your post was from back in October. How are things going now?

Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Irina,
        1 – in my opinion, doing lab testing for vitamins and minerals before adding the foundational supplements I discuss in this course are not necessary. The Spectrum-Mate, Cod Liver Oil, etc. are foundational and generally supportive to overall health.

2 – I have never seen a vitamin toxicity or mineral toxicity occur. The amounts we are using are supportive to health and function and not excessive. Blood levels of certain nutrients doesn’t always tell us what’s happening inside the cells.

The Starter Packet supplements I discussed, e.g. Spectrum-Mate, Cod Liver Oil, Calcium/Magnesium are taken by thousands of kids without health issues. I even take supplements like these on a daily basis for general health maintenance.

Dr. Woeller

Dear Dr Woeller,

Thank you very much! Your support helps a lot!

Best regards,
        irina

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Irina,
          You are welcome. Glad I can help.
          Dr. Woeller

Hi Dr Woeller,
          No worries at all. I remember that around the time I sent my message, there were several messages that you had indicated you were not notified of by the system. I figured that this was what happened to mine too. I’m glad Irina had a follow up message to refresh the topic.
          Thank you for your follow up. It has been very difficult to keep up with the many supplements that were suggested for my son. This is particularly the case because he does not swallow pills and is very defiant when it comes to medications. I have always had a difficult time, for example, giving him antibiotics when he would have an upper respiratory tract infection where antibiotics would be necessary. We often had to resort to IM. As a result, I had to add supplements to his icecream or smoothies. Unfortunately, he recently started disliking those, so I am really out of ideas!

I feel that a proper OAT could have helped in giving me a sense of direction as to what supplements would be priorities for him. However, as you might recall from an earlier message I sent, the OAT test I had was (inadvertently) the microbial OAT.
          For now, I am sticking with the foundational supplements as per your earlier lectures. Cod liver oil remains a bit of a challenge (because he hates its taste 🙂 Strictly adhering to a GFCF diet has also been a bit of a challenge because options are very limited here in Egypt. I have been rather strict with gluten restriction, but less so with casein. Alternatives to milk are also very much limited. Overall, he has been showing steady improvement.
          I will be visiting US in the summer, so I will be able to repeat the OAT and hopefully set up an appointment with your office to have a face-to-face consultation and will take it from there.
          Many thanks indeed for everything you do!
          Riham

Forgot to add that I am giving him methyl B12 injections that I had compounded at Hopewell pharmacy and had a friend get me from US. I will be getting a new fresh batch soon.

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Riham,
            Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear giving supplements has been such a challenge. You might reach out to New Beginnings Nutritionals and see if they have any ideas/suggestions.

Sincerely,
            Dr. Woeller

Dear Dr Woeller,

I’ve got such a question. Which supplements or other methods can be used to detox aluminium? Can DMSA detox aluminium? I’ve read about DMSA that it can detox lead, mercury and some other metals. But I cannot find the information if it can detox aluminium. Sorry if I missed this information in the modules. Thank you in advance

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.