Prebiotics vs Probiotics

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements Prebiotics vs Probiotics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi Dr Woeller,
    What is the difference between prebiotics and probiotics with respect to gut health? Is there a reason why they should not be taken simultaneously?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Probiotics are the bacteria, e.g. lactobacillus, bifidobacter. Prebiotics are the fertilizer that bacteria use to thrive, e.g. inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides.

They can be taken together or separate. It doesn’t really matter in the long-run. Both are heading to the same place and ultimately help to diversify the bacteria colonies of the digestive system.

Dr. Woeller

Thanks Dr Woeller.
      I just ssk because I know that the Nemecheck protocol strictly prohibits the use of probiotics with Inulin.
      Thanks again,
      Riham

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Riham,
        Probiotics feed on prebiotics like inulin. In general terms this is a normal event and happens daily as we consume food. Perhaps in the Nemecheck protocol they are concerned about getting too much bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine? I don’t have memorized all the specifics about all protocols that exist or have been generated by various authors like Nemechek. If you are following his protocol I would do as he suggests.

Dr. Woeller

Hello Dr Woeller and Riham,

I think I can add a few things to the discussion.

I agree with Dr Woeller that taking prebiotics with probiotics is relatively straightforward and the prebiotics feed the organisms.

Riham’s statement regarding inulin is consistent with what many manufacturers do to prevent adverse reactions to inulin. Some people react poorly to inulin, and the SCD prohibits the use of inulin or similar prebiotics, as per Klaire Labs and their specific line pro probiotics that do not contain their inulin food source. Their lactoprime probiotic was specifically made for people that cannot take inulin, as per the product description.

So, perhaps the Nemechek program is focused on this reaction from inulin, or maybe has to do with the SCD?

Thanks Dr Woeller!
        Thanks Michael!
        This is really interesting. I guess it explains why some people do well on the Nemecheck protocol, while others experience horrible side effects.
        Thanks again.

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Riham,
          I have not studied the Nemechek protocol real in-depth, but from what I can see is that he is attempting (or at least taking the position) to address small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), as well as colonic dysbiosis in autistic kids. There is no doubt that SIBO likely exists in some ASD kids, but not all. The problem is doing SIBO testing to confirm the problem which is nearly impossible because it requires multiple breath test samples to be taken over a couple hours. Therefore, there are assumptions being made based on symptoms and the attempt to use inulin is to increase good bacteria and crowd out bad bacteria. The problem with true SIBO is usually inulin aggravates the situation, but the results are mixed as some SIBO people do okay with it. I don’t want to put words in him mouth, but I think the theory is use inulin to increase overall healthy bacteria and overtime the imbalances, whether they are occurring the small bowel and/or large bowel will self-correct.

Dr. Woeller

I can agree with everyone and I think this is very interesting!

Thanks so much Dr Woeller. Yes, this makes sense. Thanks Michael!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.