p5p vs Pyridoxal HCL for Oxalates

Home Forums Autism Mastery Supplements p5p vs Pyridoxal HCL for Oxalates

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Dr Woeller,

I am confused regarding the p-5-p situation. I have always found this to be an effective form of b6 and the OAT test reports show it is being absorbed well.

But on the Exam #3 there is a question regarding this, and I seem to have gotten it wrong.

I looked this up on the GPL website, and I don’t exactly know what to make of it:

Lastly, sufficient B6 is required to help with the conversion of glyoxalate to glycine in the body. Maintaining sufficient levels of vitamin B6 will help with the endogenous production. However, the active form (P5P) is poorly absorbed. I recommend that patients in pain start with low doses of pyridoxine hydrochloride (10 mg) and work up to higher doses as tolerated. The upper limit is 100 mg per day. Patients without pain can usually safely start at 50 mg per day.

Am I making a mistake using P-5-P for Oxalate breakdown? I use it as part of a b-vitamin supplement program and we are seeing that yes, it is absorbed well. Do I need to also use the Pyridoxal form?

Can you clarify? I’m very confused here.

Thanks in advance!

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Michael,
      What I can tell you is Dr. Shaw from Great Plains feels that P5P is an over-hyped form of B6. He has indicated biochemically that it just gets converted back into pyridoxine HCL as it passes through the digestive systmem. Whether this occurs 100% I don’t know. I have had conversations with him where he feels the P5P is just an expensive form of B6 and that Pyridoxine HCL is just fine. I have seen some people who personally feel P5P is superior for them and then others who do better with Pyridoxine HCL. The jury is still out and this issue will likely remain controverial. I personally stick with the Pyriodoxine form and then switch if someone wants to try P5P. I haven’t seen much difference between the two with oxalates.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.