Oxytocin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Could I please ask for a clarification on Oxytocin

Mod 15 – Slide 58 says that when oxytocin is high interneurons are not able to transmit a strong signal (suggesting they are not able to filter information properly?)

But Slide 60 says that if the neurons responsible for filtering out unnecessary information aren’t receiving the oxytocin they need they won’t be able to function effectively.

My understanding was that of slide 60 but then slide 58 confused me … is it that oxytocin may be high but the receptors are not functioning therefore the body is not able to use it?

Thanks for clarifying

Thank you for clarifying.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Daniela,

Slide 58 is referring to the function of interneurons transmitting signals within the hippocampus. These cells (pyramidal and interneurons) are part of the information relay system for memory formation. They are filtering neurons in that they help to reduce excess neuronal activity that could lead to erratic signaling and uncoordinated hippocampal activity. Basically, they help to cut down on static. Therefore, in the presence of oxytoxin these cells function more appropriately as a neuron activity filter. Another way to look at it is when oxytocin is deficient, the hippocampus cannot regulate its activity and there is too much information flowing through it which can cause imbalances in activity.

Slide 60 is indicating that if the interneurons don’t get the oxytocin (because levels are low) they cannot function properly as a filter within the hippocampus and this leads to erratic signaling.

There are multiple possibilities for lack of oxytocin effect – poor production, poor receptor activation (e.g. binding) or lack of oxytocin receptor amounts.

Dr. Woeller

thank you

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.