Oxalate dumping

Home Forums Autism Mastery Oxalates Oxalate dumping

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello Dr. Woeller,

I hope you had wonderful Holidays!

So something interesting I noted just before the holidays, mid December, my child mentioned to me that he had small pebbles in his poop. I asked if this was a new experience and he said it had been happing sometimes (not all the time) for a while indicating possibly weeks or months.

He has been on a gluten free casein free diet for many years, and aside from eggs does not eat animal protein. A few years ago he refused eggs and beans too and thus depended quite largely on soy. Soy had been his predominate source of protein for many years. I got eggs back in his diet, and miraculously got him on sprouted quinoa and refried beans mixed into foods sometimes… Finally we got soy out of his diet I believe mid September.

Thus my initial suspect of his ongoing grainy stool complaint was oxalate dumping. Though his oxalates markers were normal on his OAT last spring. He does take magnesium, calcium, and B6. How long might someone experience oxalate dumping and/or grainy sandy stools? Is elimination of soy likely the cause of his grainy stools or might there be something else?

Thank you,

Lisa Shelton

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Lisa,
      Oxalate dumping in some people can go on for many months, if not years. However, years would be more of a rarity.

What may be happening is a lack of fiber in his diet. What kind of fiber source is he getting?

Dr. Woeller

Thank you for your fast reply.

No he does not get enough fiber willingly, I have to be very creative with fiber. As far a fruits and veggies go it is limited, he will eat an abundance of raw carrot, and minimal broccoli because I insist. He likes cantaloupe in season, and occasionally apples/pears but not the peel and preferably he will eat an applesauce version (does not like fruit smoothies). He does eat quinoa which has better fiber than the average grain, and he enjoys brown rice too, though we have moved into sprouted quinoa more so than rice. And when it comes to pasta we aim for lentil pastas which also seem to have more fiber than average pasta. When I make pancakes from scratch I’m able to put pureed veggies, ground flax, broths etc into it. Certainly his diet is limited, that said it is also far better than is has been in the past.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lisa,
        It definitely seems like a lack of fiber is not the culprit in your son’s diet. The other thing that might contribute to this is low fluid intake. I don’t think its related to soy. Sandy stool has also been attributed to low bile acid production too. There’s a supplement from Designs for Health called LV-GB Complex that is helpful for liver/bile acid production – https://www.pureformulas.com/lvgb-complex-90-capsules-by-designs-for-health.html. Typically dose is two capsules daily

Dr. Woeller

Thank you Dr. Woeller. Yes hydration is a constant challenge too. Fortunately taking supplements helps him to get hydrated right. But during the day I have to have his school remind him to drink water… I will look into the D for H product. Thank you and have a beautiful day.

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Lisa,
          I have to constantly remind myself to drink enough water. It’s a common issue.

Sincerely,
          Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.