Neopterin/Biopterin Profile from Genova

Home Forums Autism Mastery Brain & Nervous System Inflammation Neopterin/Biopterin Profile from Genova

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

You mentioned if someones Neopterin was high. What is someones Biopterin is high and Neopterin is normal (or low normal) resulting in a high Neopterin/Biopterin ratio. Does that mean the kiddo has addequate BH4 recycling? If so then I assume BH4 supplimentation would not be needed, correct? If VMA and HVA levels are also normal is it an unneccessary suppliment?

I had BH4 recommended to my patient buy her Neopterin levels are up and her VMA and HVA are fine.

Thanks
    Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      Yes. They should have adequate BH4 recycling in this situation and the need for BH4 doesn’t seem warranted.

The VMA and HVA situation isn’t as straightforward as those can be controlled by COMT activity too.

Therefore, if the A1298C is +- or ++ then BH4 support low dose could be used, but if you also have a neopterin/biopterin profile that is normal I am not sure I would bother. If the SNP profile is positive ++ or +- and the HVA and VMA are low (but you don’t have a neopterin/biopterin profile than I feel BH4 support is worthwhile. If you have a neopterin/biopterin profile too and it is normal with this scenario than it is a bit of a toss-up. I might use a low dose, i.e. 2.5mg once to twice daily to see what happens.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.