Nemechek?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

More and more parents come to me to ask about the Nemechek protocole. Is it similar to what we do here (functional/integrative medicine) ? Any validity to it ? Should we care ? Is there an online ressources to know the details without having to buy the book ?

I’m trying to form an objective opinion on it to be able to respond appropriatly to parents who ask about it.

Thanks

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Danik,
      It’s new. The premise of small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) being an issue in autism is true, although hard to prove. I don’t believe all kids with gut problems have SIBO. The confirmation test for SIBO is hydrogen and methane breath testing which is really hard to do in special needs children. You can read about the Nemechek Protocol right off his website. I don’t know what other resources are out there other than his book.

I do think more children could benefit from Rifaximin which is the primary antibiotic for SIBO. However, SIBO is more than just Rifaximin, but also includes digestive support, large bowel intervention, etc. One of the things about the Nemechek Protocol which is interesting is his advocating for Inulin fiber. Inulin is commonly contraindicated in SIBO. So, the question is, is it truly SIBO or something else?

I would suggest reading his book and see if it makes sense to you. I am not saying he is wrong, but usually these types of protocols catch fire for a while and then lesson with enthusiasm overtime as parents find it either is not helpful or causes problems.

Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Danik,
        I saw another question I believe from you on an Acetaminophen replacement. Unfortunately, there isn’t one. The best alternative from a fever reducer/pain reliever is Ibuprofen. There is a good book you can purchase called “Smart Medicine for Healthier Children” that has all kinds of useful tips and suggestions for things like fever in children. It will provide botanicals and even homeopathic options. This is a must have book for any practitioners working with children whether they are autistic or not.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.