My son's OAT test

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing My son's OAT test

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

This is my 4 year old autistic son’s OAT test. Would love to here your insight Thank you

I am also wondering what else can cause the #61 to be so high? My son does not drink any soda at all. He drinks some drink packets that have aspartame in them. But not a lot or everyday. And eats more fruits and veggies then processed food. So I was surprised to see it so high and am trying to do more research about that.

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

The value of #61 is likely from foods that contain phenols and/or salicylates. That doesn’t mean the high elevation is bothering him, but just showing up elevated. The Aspartame could do it too.

The rest of the test plays out like this, starting on page 1. We will be going through all of this too in depth as the course progresses:

-Arabinose (and the other markers on the yeast section) indicates invasive candida. The level is mild/moderate
      -Tricarbyllic – this is linked to a fungus found in corn and corn products. It typically disappears when treating yeast.
      -No clostridia bacteria markers which is great
      -Oxalate is high normal. Check his diet for high oxalate foods
      -No mitochondrial markers elevated!
      -The neurotransmitter section looks good too. You will learn as we progress through the course that often this section is significantly out of balance for most kids.
      -Fatty acid section – I suspect with the high Adipic acid that your son has consumed gelatin? even gelatin capsules could do it. These overall suggest a mild fat processing process at the cellular level. Likely not significant because the mitochondrial markers are all normal.
      -Nutritional markers look good too. The high Vitamin C can come from supplementation and doesn’t mean there is a problem just because it is high. The same is true of Vitamin B5.
      -Everything on page four (already mentioned marker #61) looks pretty good too. The low normal Phosphoric might be related to the need for Vitamin D. There is an association, but it is not a 100%.

What are your son’s main issues?

What supplements are you using?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

My son also is homozygous for the mthfr c677t gene. When we found that out we started him on methlyfolate and methyl b12. Which he has tolerated fine. He started that about 4 months ago. He also takes folinic acid, creatine (recently started), a kids multi vitamin (when I can get him to take it), 50 billion cfu probotic, and just started vitamin D.

The folate/b12 gave results within just a couple days. He was for the most part non verbal. He has started talking more (though not a lot of communication), following some directions, and just in general paying more attention to what we are doing.

Are concerns for him. Again while his speech is improving we do not have much that is communication. He has started to say yes. And sometimes no. But that is it. Definitely feel he has adhd as he is go go go all the time. Very sensory driven. High toe walker, loves deep pressure, wants to hang upside down. I was not surprised to see the candida as it fits with some of his behavior.

I am surprised about the gelatin. He doesn’t swallow pills so gets nothing from there. He eats some foods with it. But I wouldn’t say a lot or often. We actually didn’t eat pork for several years so found out gelatin is in a lot more then you think. So we will try and watch that/figure that out. Is this something that builds up or? I have spent that last 3 months learning about mthfr, methylation, and stuff that goes with that. But a lot of the OAT testing is new for me.

Im sure I am going to learn tons from this course. I already am studying the OAT videos so I can try and understand it more. So happy to be getting all this information

I wanted to add that we added the creatine about a month ago. We added it bc whenever my son has an eval for something. They say he either has low muscle tone or the low end of normal muscle tone. And I watched a video where you talked about it can be needed by non verbal kids to help with speech.

Oh he also gets cod liver oil 2 to 3 times a week.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Good news on the benefits of the B12 and folate. There’s a lollipop version of B12 that you should check out called Revita-POP – http://revitapop.com. It’s actually a good way to give Methyl-12. Of course, if you can find someone to help you with the subcutaneous injections, that still is the gold standard.

I don’t think the fatty acids on the OAT is much of a concern. Those numbers are likely to change with repeat testing. However, in addition to the Creatine which I like you may want to try some L-Carnitine too. I would suggest starting with 30mg/kg/day split into two divided dosages.

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Yep we are planning on adding the carnitine now too. I wrote that down in my notes after watching the module from Tuesday and re watching the bonus module for the oat test.

Thank you! And so looking forward to learning more

We have an appointment on Wednesday with my sons pediatrician to talk about where to go from here. So I can talk to him about injections. Orally what is your suggestion for B12? Right now he gets 2000 mcg of b12. It’s hard bc he can’t answer questions about how he feels when increasing or adding supplements. We have a wonderful ped and love him! He has taken classes from you also. But we live in a more rural area and I don’t think he has a lot of experience with kids with autism and has been somewhat reluctant to give dosage. But I am hopeful with our up coming meeting to get more guidance from him. Me wife and I have also talked about getting a consult with you to help us threw the supplements also.

Does it matter if it is Acetyl-L-Carnitine or just L-Carnitine?

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Reach out to Brian at AutismMasteryCourse@gmail.com to see if he can get you a copy of my Methyl-B12 ebook early. It’s part of the course, but usually doesn’t come up until later. This will help with dosing, etc. 2000mcg of oral B12 (I am assuming its Methyl-B12) is good. The problem is there is no exact dosage equivalent between oral and the injection. What does your son weigh? I can tell you how I would dose Methyl-B12 injections based on his weight.

Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

I forgot the carnitine question:

L-Carnitine is the primary form to aide in fat metabolism at the cellular level. The Acetyl-L-Carnitine will work too, but it is primarily given to supply extra Acetyl to aide in Acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter) production. Your son may not need this so I would go with the L-carnitine.

Dr. Woeller

It is methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. My son weighs about 42 pounds

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

To figure out the dosing of Methyl-B12 injections follow these steps:

1 – 42 pounds divided by 2.2 = 19 kilograms
              2 – 19 kg x 64.5mcg = 1231mcg per dose
              3 – the pharmacies cannot make the B12 to that exact amount so round up to the nearest 250mcg increment. In this case I would suggest 1250mcg.
              4 – the base concentration of Methyl-B12 is 25mg/ml. From this base concentration the per dosage amount is taken, e.g. 1250mcg.
              5 – The B12 syringe and needle is an insulin needle called Becton-Dickson 3/10 cc syringe.
              6- Each prefilled syringe contains 1250mcg from a base concentration of 25mg/ml.
              7 – If you use the pharmacies most familiar with subcutaneous B12 used in autism they already know what to do. The best pharmacies are Hopewell Pharmacy in New Jersey – http://hopewellrx.com, Wellness Pharmacy in Alabama – http://wellnesspharmacy.com or Lee-Silsby Pharmacy in Ohio – http://leesilsby.com.
              8 – I will typically prescribe 15 to 20 prefilled syringes initially.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Woeller

We are trying to decide which route to go to address the candida. Do you think biocidin is a good choice? That is what we had planned on but then someone told us that it doesn’t work well with candida? So Im confused. Pretty worried about yeast die off side effects too since he can not tell us what is bothering him. Very much looking forward to next weeks webinar!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.