Mother with deficient good bacteria in gut

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Mother with deficient good bacteria in gut

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi Dr. Woeller,
    I wondered if you have noticed in your practice or are aware of any evidence…if it is suspected that the mom is deficient in good gut bacteria (e.g. if she has taken lots of antibiotics in her lifetime) if this may cause lack of beneficial gut bacteria in the child?
    Thanks

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Janneme,
      The microbiome of the mom isn’t going to influence the microbiome of the baby – at least from what I know of. Breastfeeding can influence it as well as what the child is exposed to environmentally as well.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

P.S. If mom is taking antibiotics it is possible these could be transferred into her breast milk.

Is the reason why babies born via Caesarian section tend to lack good gut bacteria, not that they were not exposed to beneficial bacteria in the mom’s vaginal canal? Which just leads me to think that if a mom lacks beneficial bacteria in her vagina due to lack of good gut bacteria, this may be an issue too… (Hope that makes sense). I understand this has probably not been described or studied.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Janneme,
        Apologies for the late reply. The email system wasn’t notifying me of posts.

The birth canal bacteria is significant for initiating the microbiome of the child. I would think its possible that if a mom’s canal was devoid of natural bacteria than the babies first implementation would be deficient. However, it still likely is going to be better than C-section.

Dr. Woeller
        P.S. One reason breastfeeding is so important is for bacteria implementation into the babies digestive system too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.