Long Term Antimicrobials

Home Forums Autism Mastery Immune Therapies Long Term Antimicrobials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

For a patient who has already done a round of diflucan and vancomycin to control yeast and claustridia what would you recommend or what options would you recommend long term? You had mentioned rotation, what would you use? I’m thinking more of non pharmacological options. Would you just use Biocidin or would you rotate it with something (for duel candida and claustridia coverage).
    Thanks
    Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      I would personally use Biocidin and specific probiotics long-term, at least 90 days and then recheck the marker again. Let me ask you a few questions:

-what test(s) where initially done to verify clostridia and yeast?
      -Has this patient been rechecked yet?
      -what was their clinical response to the treatment?

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

This is actually the OAT test I email you previously. The claustrida and yeast were from the OAT markers and it hasn’t been rechecked yet. The patient was having significant calcium oxylate crystals in their urine and these are almost completely cleared up. They also had a sweet fruity breath smell that completely cleared up with vancomycin and diflucan but has returned a little, 4 weeks later, while they are on biocidin and nystatin. I’m repeating the OAT testing the week.

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

I see.

I would put the child on Culturelle – 3 capsules in the evening away from the Biocidin, and consider putting back on Diflucan until you can get the OAT results back.

Dr. Woeller

Dr. Woeller, did the fruity smell clue you into the Candida? Any other factors that would make you think of candida by history in a patient? Are you pretty comfortable using Diflucan for candida in kids?

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Richard,
          Yes, the fruity smell is a clue to candida. However, most of the clues are behavioral:

-goofy, giddy, and silly – drunken behavior
          -emotional instability
          -intense sugar cravings
          -high self-stimulatory behavior
          -high sensory seeking behavior

I am comfortable with Diflucan, although I would prefer to use botanicals or Nystatin since Diflucan can only be used for short periods of time, i.e. 2 to 4 weeks. However, it can be effective at jump starting the treatment process for candida.

I hope this helps.
          Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.