Legal Issues with Suppliments

Home Forums Autism Mastery Practice Management Legal Issues with Suppliments

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have a general question about legal issues with selling suppliments and I’m not sure if my concern is unfounded or not (I’m thinking as a medical doctor). But are there any legal issues with selling suppliments to someone who you haven’t seen as a patient for a particular issue? I don’t stock suppliments in my office and give out an on line code to purchase, using my name, suppliments through vendors (like Throne, Metagenics, ect . . ). Sometimes patients share this with friends and then they purchase with the same code. Are there any issues with this? I see other MDs selling to the general public but I’m not willing to risk my medical license over this. Any input would be appreciated?

Thanks
    Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      There is always a possibility of an issue, but I have no direct knowledge or experience of there being a problem. My guess is that it would be a rare problem, and you are right that there are a lot of doctors selling products online.

Dr. Woeller

I’m updating my website to sell products to clients online and I wondered about this issue of sharing a password etc for others to order. I have a disclaimer that includes that anyone purchasing product does so at their own risk and prefer clients contact me for a consultation first before ordering.
      As an NP I have the same concerns and a license to protect as well.

Valerie,

I know Dr Woeller will have a response that will certainly make sense, but if you contact New Beginnings they can set you up so your patients can order direct from them under your code and you can make a commission. I have used their service for this and it is so, so helpful. For me, it eliminates many of the issues and concerns regarding privacy, etc…

Dr Woeller do you have any feedback on this?

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Valerie and Joseph,
        Regarding legal issues you really would need to speak to an attorney if you have concerns.

We do the same thing with regards to New Beginnings and Researched Nutritionals. I refer people over to them and they handle everything. For RN, they provide an account code which I provide. I don’t think it matters if this is done in-person or off your website. You are making access an option, but it is still up to the individual whether to purchase or not.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. I prepared three lab review template documents – hair analysis, OAT and SIBO. This give you an idea of how I prepare a written lab review for general purposes. These should be uploaded to the Resource Section soon.

Dr. Woeller and Joseph:

I had already created an account with New Beginnings and other companies that I order from. With my new website it will take lessen the headache and hassle of carrying so much inventory in my office. I’m looking forward to this new change.

Thank you for sharing your templates and I look forward to letting us know when they are ready.

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Valerie,
          We have found over the years that having supplement companies drop ship their products is so much easier. That way, if the person has a problem with the supplement and wants to return or refund they deal directly with the supplement company. It eliminates a lot of headaches in practice.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. Hopefully, the templates are helpful. Check the Resource Center as the review documents are there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.