Ibuprofen Cycling

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Could you clarify how long a typical ibuprofen cycle occurs and then how long typically you are off. I got the feeling from the lecuture that you suggested 10 days on then 2 weeks off and cycling that that but I just wanted to clarify this.

Thanks
    Aaron Hartman MD

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      A typical cycle is 10 days “on” and 20 days “off.” However, there are more frequent cycles based on the response of the child, i.e. 15 days “on” and 15 “off.” The SCIA protocol starts out at 10 days on and 20 days off.

What I was discussing for the initial Ibuprofen Trial was 10 days to see if a child responds – using a lower dose than advocated by the SCIA group. In most cases 10 days is enough time to see any positive changes. If not, than there is an option to do another trial of increasing the Ibuprofen dose, i.e. doubling it, but waiting a few weeks to do this.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Which dosage do you start with? My son is a responder I give twice daily 200 mg. I’ve tried a few times stopping but with in a day I see an effect. He becomes more rigid and aggressive.As we haven’t had this yet but am curious am posting this a bit early 🙂
      Tanks Gaby

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Gaby,
        I usually start with the dose on the bottle for age and weight which comes to approximately 7.5mg/kg.

Dr. Woeller

7,5 mg 2 dd or 3 dd? Do you worry about the effects on the kidneys when dosing for longer time?

Thanks

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

There are a number of Ibuprofen protocols. The Stop Calling It Autism (SCIA) protocol calls for 3 doses daily for 10 days “on” and 20 days “off.” This can always be modified too to shorter durations, i.e. 7 days “on”, 5 days “on.” I haven’t seen liver and kidney problems at any of these lengths of Ibuprofen use. Ideally, tracking kidney function every few months would ideal, but again even at the 10 days “on” and 20 days “off” I haven’t witnessed problems.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.