Hair analysis results questions

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing Hair analysis results questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynn AltierNeed
    Participant

Hi Dr. Woeller,
      I’ve received the Toxic and Essential Elements results from GPL for two of my clients that happen to be siblings (brother and sister). The younger sibling (brother), who has a history of seizures, is showing excessively high levels of copper (430 range 11-37) This I know can correlate with seizure activity. The sister is very high as well at 210. The mother reports they do not have copper piping in their home and that their water has been tested and no toxic elements were detected. In addition both of their levels of Thallium and Strontium are high (the former is linked to pesticides, which I’ve been suspecting). Where to begin… a few questions:
      1. The brother is taking 30mg of zinc per day. This lab shows slightly elevated levels of zinc (200 range 110-190). I read that an excess may indicate a deficiency. Would you recommend increasing the dosage?
      2. What other exogenous sources of copper can you suggest? Strontium? Barium?
      3. Brother: sodium/potassium ratio is 15.9 (.5 -10)
      4. Brother: chromium, molybdenum, vanadium are below the ranges. He’s currently taking the Basic Nutrients supplement.
      5. Brother: OAT did not show depleted levels of glutathione (a high marker)
      6. I know this is premature in the course, but I understand B6 and Niacin can help with detoxifying the high levels. B6 is in place. What are your thoughts on niacin?

The brother is supported nutritionally, through diet: GF/DF high fats, supplements for deficiencies including B6 (60mg), addressing the history of chronic yeast, potentially biofilm (Biocidin protocol has been implemented). Child’s symptoms are improving, yet developmental delay remains. I understand that yeast binds to toxins so it is important that I can address them best. I’d appreciate all of your recommendations moving forward.

Lynn

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lynn,
        Here are my suggestions/response:

1 – I suggest doing the Copper/Zinc Profile from Great Plains. This test evaluates for Serum Copper, Zinc, Ceruloplasmin, along with Free Copper. It may be that they are Zinc deficient in the blood and wasting Zinc. Also, if they have a Ceruloplasmin deficiency this could explain the high Copper too as Ceruloplasmin binds excess Copper.
        2 – I am not sure on this myself. I do find your comment about Thallium and Strontium interesting though as it relates to pesticides. I don’t know of all the sources of copper, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is an ingredient in certain chemicals. What kind of environment do they live in? Consider doing the GPL-TOX Panel and Glyphosphate test from Great Plains Laboratory.
        3 + 4 – Chelate-mate from New Beginnings is a separate mineral product that is very good. Minerals are well absorbed. I use 1/2 to 1 tablespoon daily.
        5 – What about Succinic Acid? or the other markers in the detoxification section?
        6 – The problem with Niacin is it causes flushing (unless you can use a non-flush source). This may help. Was the Quinolinic Acid high or Quinolinic/5=HIAA ratio?

I hope this helps.
        Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
        Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,
          Thank you for your response. This family lives on a farm and use glyphosate. From what I can find copper can be found in the soils as well. The children do consume foods that have some copper in them (seeds, avocados) but I don’t believe Veal or Lamb on a consistent basis which I’m assuming could increase these levels.

No other detoxification markers on the OAT showed limited detoxification.

I have received his genetic results. Interestingly the child is homozygous for the GSTP1 105V but again OAT showed no concerning variables in the detoxification area. Do you find that the glutathione markers on the OAT can be false negatives? The child is homozygous for CBS but orotic levels did not raise areas of concern and on a low-er protein/high fat diet. Heterozygous for MTHFR A1298C; no concerns for MTHFR C677T.

Mother reports that she had child’s copper levels tested a few years ago; no concerns. No recent results. I will discuss the GPL panel with her.

Child current status: seizures have ceased, is improving daily with his speech but delays and drooling continue.

I’ll look into the chelate-mate (with hesitance). Would supporting the detoxification pathways through a small amount of glutathione support the excretion of metals (assuming we can remove the exposure)?

Much appreciated,
          Lynn

Hi Lynn,
          Don’t know if this will help, but have you done the counting rules by Andy Cutler to check if there is a mercury problem? According to Cutler the copper goes down when you chelate the mercury. I don’t know what your experience is with the counting rules dr. Woeller?

Gaby

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Gaby,
            I am familiar with the counting rules of Cutler. The one issue with the counting rules is he is the only one that endorses it. Therefore, it can be used as a guide, but I wouldn’t solely rely on it.

Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

Lynn,
              The Chelate-Mate is not a chelator for heavy metals. It’s called Chelate-Mate to support mineral replacement during chelation. However, it can be used as a highly absorbable form of minerals too.

The pyroglutamic is a good marker, but there is always the possibility of an underlying problem occuring with a normal level.

I think a Glyphosate and GPL-Tox screen are a good idea with all of his issues going on.

With the GSTP-1 using some liposomal glutathione makes sense.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.