Functional Methylation Testing

Home Forums Autism Mastery Methylation Functional Methylation Testing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

With methylation, do you use functional methylation testing like Health Diagnostics and Reseach Institute?

It seems people get so caught up in their SNPs, but how do we know if a SNP is expressed?

Is it correct to say that +/+ is always expressed but that +/- we don’t really know? Or could even a +/+ not be expressed?

Thanks,
    Scott

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Scott,
      This is an excellent question. I have often talked to people before about the SNPs as a blueprint for potential problems, but it doesn’t necessarily mean a SNP is expressing itself to fully to the degree of seeing broad clinical effects. I think the SNP profiles can be an important test to have as a guide for possible further intervention, but I too am not running SNPs on everyone, partly because of finances for some individuals and the ability to really do much with the information in others. I feel that for the bulk of autism the SNP profiles are a more advanced lab to obtain once we have gone through the foundational work first.

I really like the Health Diagnostics Methylation Panel. It seems to be a good test overall. The problem with Health Diagnostics is they are not a convenient lab to work with. If you have primarily local people coming into your office than you can provide them with the test kit. However, they will not drop ship test kits anymore (at least the last time we checked) to patients. I have a lot of individuals I consult with at a distance and some overseas so having to order kits from them, and then turn around and send these kits ourselves has been challenging.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.