Elevated 4-Cresol, test for clostridia negative

Home Forums Autism Mastery Pathogen Treatments Elevated 4-Cresol, test for clostridia negative

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynn AltierNeed
    Participant

Hi Dr. Woeller,
      Can 4-Cresol be elevated for reasons other than clostridia?

Here’s an explanation. I have a 14 year old male client,living in Spain, with severe developmental disabilities, seizures daily, GI issues and phenol sensitivities. Youth tested positive on the OAT for Elevated 4-Cresol (45), elevated arabinose, elevated oxalates, low nutrients, seretonin, glutathione deficient, mitochondrial dysfunction, and concerns with fatty acid metabolism and multiple food sensitivities. Loads of healing opportunities. This child is extremely sensitive. He’s currently on the Feingold diet and responding favorably. The mother is working closely with her pediatrician. I encouraged her to share the findings of the 4-Cresol. Also his eosinophils were very elevated which raises concern for pathogens. The pediatrician tested the youth for clostrium A and B: both negative. Still a lot of fingers point to clostridia; a primary infection impacting the function of this individual’s biochemistry.

I understand clostridia is a phenol. Can the clostridia be the root cause of the phenol sensitivity?. Also in question, the mother reports that her son’s sensitivity to tegretol has shown to be high in p-cresol. She’s therefore concerned about his current AED medication, lamotrigine theorizing that lamotrigine is causing the elevated 4-cresol .I’m not seeing this as the same but would like your expertise. Is p-cresol the same as 4-cresol?

Again, can 4-Cresol be elevated for reasons other than clostridia?

Also, I am proposing recognizing the clostridia and prioritizing this in moving forward, beginning with a MV/MM, probiotic, biocidin and then introducing the no-fenol product through New Beginnings. I will be encouraging the family to go low and slow with changes.
      How would you approach this case?

Respectfully,
      Lynn

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lynn,
        4-cresol can come about from toluene exposure, wood tar creosote and methofuran (comes from mint flavoring of pennyroyal). The most common source is Clostridia difficle.

With regards to this child. Another species of clostridia called C. scatologenes can produced cresol as well, but it is not very common. There are different strains of C. difficile too so likely this is the explanation. Not all of them produce the toxins A and B.

It is true 4-cresol is a phenol, along with clostridia toxin HPHPA and other compounds (i.e. byproduct of acetaminophen). I am not sure if it is the sole cause of phenol sensitivity, there is no doubt it contributes and exacerbates the problem. P-cresol is 4-cresol from my biochemistry understanding. I am not familiar with seizure medication causing an elevation.

Personally, I would be treating as though this is a clostridia bacteria problem and using botanical and probiotics as you mentioned. My personal opinion (and experience) is the chances of it not being clostridia produced are rare and there is a much greater chance of success trying to treat it versus leaving it alone and assuming its being caused by some remote “other” exposure.

We will get to this information more in the clostridia module, but are you familiar with the cyclical approach to dosing?

Sincerely,
        Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
        Participant

Thank you Dr. Woeller for all of your clarification. I do look forward to the module on Clostridia Protocols. For the interim, can you please advise on the cyclical approach to dosing?

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Lynn,
            Attached is a working document for that module. The Grapefruit Seed Extract you will see is just an option. I often don’t use it as the Biocidin by itself, along with Culturelle works really well. The basic idea of a natural remedy protocol for clostridia is to cycle the dose, similar to what is done with antibiotics.

My preference is to do 14 days straight of a botanical, then cycle the dose for an additional 4 weeks making sure to collect another urine sample of at least the Microbial Organic Acids Test during the last week of the cycle.

See if this makes sense to you and let me know if you have any questions.

Dr. Woeller

P.S. my general rule of thumb for dosing Biocidin is 5 drops for every 1 capsule. This may not be exact to what the company describes, but its worked well overall for me.

Lynn AltierNeed
            Participant

The protocol is clear. Thank you.

DrWoeller
              Keymaster

Lynn,
                Good. Thanks.
                Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.