Doctors Data Methylation Panel

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing Doctors Data Methylation Panel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynn AltierNeed
    Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,

This is my first methylation panel and I have a few questions.
      The only marker out of range is elevated adenosine. Hcy doesn’t look too low at 4.2. I’ve read through your course that Valtrex (herpes anti-viral drug) may be effective at regulating adenosine. I also read that elevated adenosine can congest the methylation cycle.

Client: Male, age 12, that I’ve been working with over the past 3 years toward improving overall metabolic function and eliminating seizures. This child has remained seizure free. The parent is now interested in weaning medications but is nervous and wanted more thorough analysis. This child does take . D.E., b-vitamins including hydroxy-adenosyl MTRR++, glutathione, CoreBiotics, allicin and has used (with success) Culturelle, Biocidin and GSE in the past for clostridia infection(s). His improvements have been excellent thus far.

1. Obtaining Valtrex may be a challenge for this Canadian family. Biocidin appears to be effective at addressing viral diseases including herpes. Could Biocidin be effective at regulating adenosine, similar to Valtrex?
      2. Is there potentially a bacterial infection that could cause the rise in adenosine. SAH appears to be within range as well as the other markers?

Or is there something I’m missing?

As always,
      Much appreciated,
      Lynn

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lynn,
        I don’t have know if Biocidin is going to have the same effect as Valtrex when it comes to herpes virus infection. The chances are is it that it will not. This child may have a SNP in their Adenosine Deaminase enzyme, but even if that is the case it doesn’t appear to be causing a back-up in the methylation cycle. Personally, I wouldn’t wean everything. What supplements are you considering keeping? Not sure I see the need to go off everything.

Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
        Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,

Thank you for your help with interpretation and recommendations. I should have been clearer. The parents are beginning to wean him off of Anti-epileptic drugs, a benzo and Keppra. I will encourage them to remain on the supplements and current interventions which they seem happy to do particularly through this lengthy transition period.

I welcome any additional suggestions you may have regarding support for the weaning of medications.

Regards,
          Lynn

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Lynn,
            The parents should also be in communication with the prescribing doctor(s) regarding these medications too.
            Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
            Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,

I should have made myself clear. The family is using a neurologist for the weaning process. However, I’ve found personally and with working with other families, that the weaning process is less conservative than the body needs, resulting in withdrawal symptoms and seizures. It’s helpful for families to feel that their child is in optimal health with supports in place before the weaning process as well.

As always,
              Thank you,
              Lynn

DrWoeller
              Keymaster

Lynn,
                What I would personally do is maintain this child on their current regimen and just let the neurologist wean things slowly. The parents always have the option to go a little slower on their wean than what is suggested. I don’t think too many neurologists would be opposed to a slower wean than what they prescribed.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.