Detox?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    There seems to be a consensus on the need, at some point, for a detox regimen.
    1. Is there a preferred detox program, that has an evidence-based backup? Examples include ACC, TRS, NDF by Bioray?
    2. Is there a target phase in a child’s journey (hopefully to recovery) at which one can start detox?
    Thanks,
    Riham

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Riham,
      Detoxification is almost always necessary. However, everything we are doing from the start such as improving diet, using foundational supplements, treating digestive problems and improving methylation (all part of the 4 Pillar approach) is aiding in detoxification.

From there, it gets more specific into what are we attempting to detoxify? Heavy metals? Mold? Chemicals? All of these problems sometimes require different approaches, although there is some overlap with certain therapies. For example, infra-red sauna can help with environmental chemical detoxification, as well as certain mycotoxin (mold) detoxification.

NDF/NDF-Plus is a broad detoxification supplement reported to help with metal and chemical detoxification. Therefore, this product can often be added early on for general detoxification support in addition to the other interventions discussed, e.g. foundational supplements, gut treatment.

There is no ‘one’ established detoxification program that I am aware of. I am encouraged with the ION Cleanse system from A Major Difference – https://amajordifference.com in the assistance for general detoxification. It seems to help with chemical and heavy metal detoxification. They have some early research for both of these issues.

What specifically are you looking to detoxify or have discovered with your patients?

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Thank you Dr. Woeller this confirms what and how I do my work.

Hi Dr Woeller,
      Actually, we measured heavy metal toxicity a few years back, for my now 9 year-old son, using hair and urine testing. Although the numbers were not remarkable, however, the Aluminum level in the hair samples was twice the normal range. I have only recently become involved with (in fact, obsessed with) biomedical interventions. Until March 2018, all my efforts were focused on behavior modification, OT, Speech therapy and other non medical approaches. I always felt that there was a missing piece of the puzzle, because improvements were trivial despite huge efforts and a resonably mild-moderate starting condition. In March, my son experienced a horrble panic/ depression/ anxiety attack accompanied with severe insomnia, anorexia, weird motor tics and separation anxiety like i have never been through. Upon seeking medical attention from a neuropsychiatrist, Karim was prescribed Risperdal and an anti depressant ( that acts as a a serotonin R uptake inhibitor). I suggested the possibility of PANS, but it was not really welcomed by our neuropsychiatrist. The episodes still continued in a cyclical manner (coming every 3 weeks and lasting for 5-7 days). Toxin accumulation was suggested as a potential etiologic factor. It was this turn of events that drove me towards seeking an answer in biomedical interventions.
      I am now working as hard as i can to maintain a GFCF diet and a platform of the fundamental supplements. I am currently in Egypt, but I fortunately managed to get many of my supplements from the US when i was there. I also got a one month supply of Methyl B12 injections (compounded at Hopewell Pharmacy). I also started low dose Naltrexone, GABA and 5 HT. I am also following up with a UK-based homeopath (Alan Freestone). CBD was additionally suggested. I got it but did not start it.
      The “neuropsychiatric episodes” are generally better, with less severity, frequency and duration. I have detox at the back of my mind, but I do not want to start until issues of intestinal healing, candida die off etc are more or less under control. A recent OAT test showed within normal figures (mind you though i only had a microbial OAT done). Arabinose levels were in the high but within normal range. IgG food sensitivities showed mildly increased IgG to gluten only. Urinary peptides reflected leaky gut and comprehensive stool analysis showed moderate levels of Candida.
      The overall condition is reasonably better than when we first started. Constipation is now under control and i am using botanicals for Candida (mainly GSE).
      I feel that detox will be essential, just not sure what to use and when would be the best time to start. I am guessing my target is Aluminum and heavy metals.
      Apologies for the lengthy response 🙂
      Thanks so much.
      Riham

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Riham,
        Great overview of your situation.

The LDN was a good call. My initial impression was PANDAS/PANS too.

You should consider the GAPS diet at this point. That is, if its actually possible to implement it.

As an antifungal I would suggest either doing daily Nystatin 500,000 unit tablet – one tablet three times daily (this is a prescription) or get some Biocidin from New Beginnings Nutritionals – https://nbnus.com and use two capsules three times daily.

With regards to Detox and your son’s hypersensitivity state, e.g. anxiety, panic I would look into the ION Cleanse. Consider this an all around way of supporting detox, but it also helps with improving Voltage Gated Ion Channels which are part of the nervous system and when block or not functioning properly mood disorders can increase. I see kids overall becoming more calm and regulated with the ION Clease.

One of the biggest problems you have in Egypt environmentally is chemical toxins. There’s a lot of it in the air and water. Do a GPL-TOX test as a baseline to see what he is being exposed too.

Contact Glenn Wilhelm at A Major Difference (AMD) and inquire about the ION Cleanse – glenn@amajordifference.com.

I hope this information is helpful.
        Dr. Woeller

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Thanks so much Dr Woeller!! This is extremely informative and helpful. Really appreciate your taking the time to respond.
          Sure, I will do the GPL-TOX as soon as possible. I will also contact Glenn for the IONCLEANSE.
          Thanks so much!!
          Riham

Riham – Great! Thanks.
          Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.