Cyrex lab- neurological, fatty acid profile GPL

Home Forums Autism Mastery Troubleshooting Cyrex lab- neurological, fatty acid profile GPL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lynn AltierNeed
    Participant

Hello Dr. Woeller,

I can really use your help with this case.

Tamayo age 14. Would you please advise on further recommendations?

History: 1 year ago: m/c seizures every 3 days: OAT revealed: elevated arabinose, high oxalates, extremely high lactic acid (1110) an endocrinologist was not concerned for diabetes; elevated pyruvic as well; elevated fumaric and malic, elevated 3-methylglutaric and 3-hydroxyglutaric. Low HVA and very low VMA and low 5-HIAA. Ketone and Fatty Acid markers 3-hydroxybutyric 4269, acetoacetic 2424 extremely high! Adipic and suberic high as well. Nutritionally deficient in b vitamins. Detox: 2-hydroxybutyric very elevated. AA metabolites: 2-hydroxisovaleric, 3-methyl-2-oxovaleric, 2-oxoisocaproic elevated.

Elevated uranium on a Hair Analysis (L.A. area near LAX). Mother installed reverse osmosis water system.

Child placed on strict lower protein, GF, CF, high fat, low carbs, no sugar diet. Addressed candida with GSE and strong probiotic, supported Vitamins and Minerals,Cod Liver Oil, CoQ10 and added B6, D.E., L-Carnitine, milk thistle. Child became seizure free for 7 months.

Child now 14, eating foods on his own, chemically laden and wheat.

Experiencing seizures at least one per month. Child is on demanding work schedule (Family is A type). I’ve been working with them on reducing his stress load while we identify his health needs.

2nd OAT: no elevated fungal markers. Pyruvic, fumaric and malic, 3-methylglutaric and 3-hydroxyglutaric all in normal ranges. HVA is normal, VMA remains very low. 5-HIAA remains low. 3-Hydroxybutyric only moderately elevated 3.1, acetoacetic normalized. AA metabolites: 2-hydroxisovaleric, 3-methyl-2-oxovaleric, 2-oxoisocaproic normalized.
      Child deviating on diet, continues with regimens from above with added methylcobalamin/adenosyl cobalamin- Yasko’s Black Bear Spray (mother stopped for fear that it was causing a seizure).

Genetic testing: negative for COMT, homozygous for MTHFRC677T, negative for MAO A, VDR taq/Foq heterozygous, MTHFRA1298C negative, BHMT homozygous (may affect ammonia/sulfur) but orotic levels are low on OAT.

Many of these markers have substantially improved. Yet, seizures are recurring (1 time per month).

Here are thoughts:
      1. Mother reports that on the diet, he’s not in ketosis, but when a new L-Carnitine (per her dietician) was added in, he’s now in ketosis. Is there a mitochondrial dysfunction more than what’s been identified?
      2. Child does very well in school: honor classes A-student, no developmental delays, but coordination slightly effected.
      3. IgG GPL showed no signs of Gluten or casein sensitivity. Results may have backfired child’s efforts.
      4. Wheat is a big variable in the lifestyle changes from the time of no seizures to seizures. Do you think it warrants the Cyrex #3 or the #7 for neurological autoimmunity? Are you familiar with either of these tests? I’m thinking that it may offer a healing opportunity for the mother and child if it does/doesn’t reveal.
      5. Is this a deeper mitochondria issue? Would a fatty acids profile give us more insight into potentially his history with extremely elevated fatty acid markers on the first OAT, his need for L-Carnitine? Or would another test be advisable?

All other thoughts greatly appreciated,
      Lynn

Just a couple humble thoughts:
      Could the addition of carnitine in the presence of high fat diet be causing the ketosis?
      Is methylfolate included in the supplements beyond that in the Black Bear spray?

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Lynn,

Here is my response, and a few questions:

1 – Was he on a high fat diet back when he did the original OAT?
        2 – Uranium VERY common in almost everyone in S. California
        3 – The negative MAO-A polymorphism could effect MA0-A function leading to decreased overall function.
        4 – Cyrex – can you do #3, #7 and #20? I think this would be more ideal and provide you more insight into possible neurological autoimmunity.
        5 – Deeper mito issue – ??? There might be. Run a GPL-TOX and Glyphosate test from Great Plains Laboratory to see if environmental toxins are an issue. Also, the GPL-TOX has Tiglyglycine which is a direct marker for mitochondrial damage.

I hope this helps.
        Dr. Woeller

Lynn AltierNeed
        Participant

Thank you Dr. Woeller,

1. Yes, he was on a high-er fat diet for the original OAT.
          2 & 3. Good to know.
          4. Thank you.
          5. I will share with the parent.

Much appreciated,
          Lynn

DrWoeller
          Keymaster

Lynn,
            The high fat diet is likely the reason for the high fatty acid metabolites.
            Dr. Woeller

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.