Cholesterol dosing

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Cholesterol dosing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I always hear that levels of blood cholesterol have no relationship to dietary intake of cholesterol. This argument is presented when making the claim/point that sugar raises cholesterol, but eating low fat, low cholesterol is not a remedy for elevated cholesterol.
    Why then would we take supplemental cholesterol capsules if labs show blood cholesterol is low? is there some regulating mechanism where supplementing it when low will help but removing it from the diet when high is not the best approach for treating elevated cholesterol?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Glen,
      For many years the only way to treat a genetic disorder like SLOS where people have very low levels of cholesterol was through massive egg consumption. Its interesting you bring this up. Check out this article – https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.31.1_supplement.137.4. Phosphatidylcholine in eggs appears to inhibit cholesterol absorption from the intestines. I am not sure about brain and liver consumption.

This is why the Sonic Cholesterol supplement is preferred because of its pure cholesterol source.

There are many factors involved with cholesterol and figuring out exactly why the levels are low is challenging. Great Plains use to have a genomics test which answered some of the questions. Some people have conversion problems in their cholesterol metabolism. Unfortunately, that test as discontinued from the company they were contracted with. In others, absorption could be the issue, iron overload (hemochromatosis) is a cause and so is manganese deficiency.

What I have seen clinically is Sonic Cholesterol seems to help with more social engagement and less behavioral issues seen in autism of those individuals who tend to have low cholesterol.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.