Causes of Knew swelling and pain

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Causes of Knew swelling and pain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My son is currently 10 yrs Dx Autism, over the years as a child his knees would swell and be painful. He was screened for RA and other autoimmune conditions with nothing coming up. I have been studying FM and helping him through this the past year and he is doing much better in many ways, including not having this symptom. I am not sure what we have done that this is currently improved/resolved but I am grateful.
    Now my 4 yrs old nephew is experiencing knee swelling and pain that comes and goes. I find it strange that both boys have this.
    Have you seen this or similar? Any ideas for root causes to look for or to help with this?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Melanie,
      The RA for your nephew should be ruled out too. My concern is that there could still be an underlying autoimmune process occurring. However, another consideration is high oxalate. Oxalates are known to cause crystal formation that can lead to joint pain. It would be unusual though to have obvious swelling of a joint without also having urinary pain too as much of the oxalate crystals are excreted through the kidneys. I would suggest doing an Organic Acids Test from Great Plains. Also, food sensitivities should be ruled out as well. Great Plains has the Food IgG (dried blood spot) test. Both oxalate and food sensitivity are associated with fibromyalgia.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.