Blood Tests

Home Forums Autism Mastery Lab Testing Blood Tests

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Parker
    Participant

Hi Dr. Woeller.

If an autistic child is able to get a blood draw, which tests do you recommend? Here are some tests I am thinking about but would love to know if you have a standard list:

CBC with diff
      Comp Metabolic Panel
      Pediatric Lip Panel, Fasting (to check cholesterol)
      Zinc
      Copper
      Ceruloplasmin
      RBC Magnesium
      Ferritin
      Vit D
      Homocysteine

I am a little fuzzy about how to check copper and zinc. I did a webinar with Dr. Walsh and he said to check plasma zinc and serum copper but when I look at Labcorp tests the option is “zinc, plasma or serum”. I am also unsure about whether it is useful to look at RBC levels of copper and zinc and if you would run those in addition to plasma/serum or instead? I know that looking at genomics sometimes there can be issues with transporting metals in and out of cells.

What are your thoughts about testing copper/zinc?

Are there any other standard tests you would add to this list for kids on the spectrum?

Thanks very much!
      Rebecca

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Rebecca,
        Your list is great. I would add serum histamine, serum iron, total iron binding capacity (TIBC) and % saturation too, as well as TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.

For Copper, Zinc and Ceruloplasmin I do the Copper & Zinc Profile from Great Plains Laboratory.

Dr. Woeller

Rebecca Parker
        Participant

Thanks very much!

Rebecca Parker
          Participant

So for histamine, LabCorp has either plasma or histamine determination (whole blood). I did not see an option for serum histamine. Which one would you recommend?

DrWoeller
            Keymaster

Rebecca,
              I would do whole blood histamine.
              Dr. Woeller

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.