Biofilms

Home Forums Autism Mastery Immune Therapies Biofilms

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’ve been to a conference that specifically dealt with immune system issues. The concept of bio-films came up and was ‘controversial.’ Once of the lecturers was concerned about eliminating bio-films due to their health benefits and he was more keen on ‘rejuvenating’ bio-films (ie-getting good bacteria in them).

What are your thoughts on this?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Dr. Hartman,
      I think there is a balance. These pathogens definitely encase themselves in biofilms which makes them more difficult to eradicate, but I understand there can be a beneficial role too. I doubt seriously that we are destroying all biofilms by implementing specific supplements, but hopefully tipping the scales a bit towards making it more effective against the pathogens we are trying to get after.

Dr. Woeller

This biofilm topic brings something to mind for me. I was not aware until last night’s session about the possible issue of biofilms and artificial hips. I have some hip replacement patients and a few of them complain of pain in the upper thigh where the femoral stem hardware is located. Their doctors have ruled out infections, hardware issues and more. Could the pain be attributed to biofilm? Should I consider treating them for biofilm to see if it makes any difference?
      Thanks, Kim

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Kim,
        It might be biofilm. However, one would expect if an infection was present in those areas biofilm would be too and vice versa.

As an classically trained osteopath I start thinking about musculoskeletal imbalances in those areas from years of faulty mechanics that lead to hip degeneration, and then the stress of putting in a replacement. If infection has been ruled out, and inflammation doesn’t appear to be obvious I would look for other causes and have these people see practitioners who can provide some body work, i.e. cranial osteopath, chiropractor, orthotics.

Dr. Woeller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.