Autism and PANDAS/PANS: treatment parallels

Home Forums Autism Mastery General – Miscellaneous Autism and PANDAS/PANS: treatment parallels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have several PANDAS patients and was wondering how you approached these kids. Due to the link with neural autoimmunity and antibodies to the basal ganglia with resultant neuronal inflammation, as well as the predilection to ‘bright’ males, I’m using a similar approach to my PANDAS patients as with the Autistic ones.

Any treatment insights or recommendations that would be unique to PANDAS?

DrWoeller
    Keymaster

Aaron,
      I wish I could say I had some secret formula for PANDAS. It is an extremely difficult condition to treat and there isn’t anything that I have found that is universally effective. This past weekend I attended a seminar where PANDAS was discussed and the general consensus was approach it as comprehensively as possible (similar to what we are doing for autism), but there is no one specific way of treating it in every case.

I do feel low dose naltrexone is worthwhile, and am wondering about the potential of the AMD Ion Cleanse device in helping to reduce neurological stress/toxins, but no specific data at this point. I will keep searching though.

Sincerely,
      Dr. Woeller

Hi Dr Woeller,
      Happy New Year and Happy Holiday Season to All.
      I was wondering if you have had experience with CBD oil, or have seen parent experiences with it, particularly in cases where PANS/PANDAS is suspected.
      Thanks

DrWoeller
      Keymaster

Riham,
        I have some experience with CBD, but mostly for behavior issues, e.g. aggression, self-injury, but not specifically for PANS/PANDAS.

It doesn’t appear to be universally effective, but then again nothing is. However, it doesn’t seem to really cause any problems either.

I think its worth exploring more overall and now with the opening up of CBD to move more legally across state lines here in the U.S. more people will have access to it.
        Dr. Woeller

Thanks so much Dr Woeller!
        Is there any known interaction between CBD and SSRI such as Citalopram?

DrWoeller
        Keymaster

Riham,
          Not that I am aware of. They work through different receptor systems.
          Dr. Woeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.